What is the most common question I am asked about APIs?Β The answer is, βcan you give me an example in my industry?βΒ About 15 months ago I started writing a series of blogs giving API examples for every industry.Β First I introduced a way to structure the discussion in a blog called, βIdentifying good candidates for APIsβ.Β I then tackled every industry IBM lists on its industry page showing sample API scenarios.
The complete list of industry use case blogs is included below.Β But wait, before you scroll down and find your industry, here are a few suggestions about how to use these blogs:
- The first thing to point out is that we try to keep these blogs short.Β Each one is touching on a few potential use cases to spark ideas and demonstrate possibilities.Β These blogs are not meant to be the complete list of use cases.Β As your efforts progress, you will find many additional use cases.
- Second: think about the value chain for your APIs.Β What is the value of your API to the developer who uses it?Β What will the value be that they provide to the end user of the App that they create?Β If you canβt find value for each participant in the value chain, rethink your API.
- Third: Look beyond your industry.Β There are patterns and opportunities that you can find by looking at other industries.Β Over a year
ago I was at a Connected Car conference and an API leader from Fitbit was walking around the conference and stopped at the IBM booth.Β I asked him why Fitbit was at a Connected Car conference. His answer, βjust trying to get some different ideasβ.Β Seems like a good idea to me.
- Fourth: Look beyond your industry again.Β Another thing to understand is how your industry relates to others.Β I call this, βthe industry next doorβ.Β APIs can unlock partnerships that cross industries. As an example, when people buy a car, they might need a bank loan and insurance.Β Think about your industry, but also the industries that might use your APIs to send you more customers and more business.
- Fifth and finally, Remember that to achieve success you should always put controls around the APIs so that you know who uses the APIs and how much and can map this to the results.Β With this visibility, you can use the analytics to determine which techniques are working and which are not.
Here is the list of industry blogs showing API use cases:
- Aerospace and Defense β βAPIs for Aerospace and Defense Blast Offβ
- Automotive β βWhatβs driving APIs in Automotive?β
- Banking β βBanking on APIsβ
- Chemicals and Petroleum β βDrilling into API usage in the Chemical and Petroleum Industryβ
- Consumer Packaged Goods β βAPIs for CPG β Managing Bathrooms to Supply Chainsβ
- Education β βLearning your ABCs using APIs β APIs in Educationβ
- Electronics β βNo Shock, the Electronics Industry is Charged up about APIsβ
- Financial Services β βFinancial Services β Planning to Retire on APIsβ
- Government β βGovernment APIs β Do more with lessβ
- Healthcare Payers β βHealthcare APIs β A cure to accessing Healthcare Systemsβ
- Healthcare Providers β βHealthcare Providers β A Prescription for APIsβ
- Insurance β βAPIs for the Insurance Industry β Avoid the risk of falling behindβ
- Life Sciences β βAPIs: A Prescription for Challenges in the Life Sciences Industryβ
- Manufacturing – “Building APIs for the Manufacturing Industry“
- Media and Entertainment β βMedia and Entertainment β Hooray for APIs!β
- Metals and Mining β βUnearthing API Use Cases in Metals and Miningβ
- Retail β βTodayβs Special β APIs for the Retail Industryβ
- Smarter Cities β βReshAPIng Cities β Using APIs to Build Smarter Citiesβ
- Telecom β βTelecom and APIs β Now we are talkingβ
- Travel and Transportation β βAPIs are Taking Off in Travel and Transportationβ
- Utilities β βAPIs for Utilities: Letβs do something about the Weather!β
What industries did I miss?Β Let me know if I did not cover yours.