This blog is from 2016. Newer reports are available. Please see the following for 2018 reports:
- Analyst Firm Lists IBM API Connect as an API Management Leader
The following is the original blog content from 2016…
Several analysts have issued recent reports showing IBM as a leader in their respective API management solution evaluations. This blog contains pointers to the full analyst reports and summarizes some of the key points the analysts stated about what it means to be a leader and IBM API Connect.
The Forrester Wave™: API Management Solutions, Q4 2016
Published 14 November 2016
As per Forrester guidelines, the wave graphic is only available via the full report in the link above.
Forrester comments about IBM:
- IBM is positioned in the Leaders segment
- “Since our previous Wave evaluation, IBM rebuilt its API management solution around its StrongLoop acquisition to create a unified solution for API management and APIs built using Node.js.”
- “Adding on IBM’s Bluemix platform makes the solution appealing to buyers looking for a hybrid platform for APIs…”
Note that Forrester also provides a separate report called “The API Management Buyer’s Guide, Q4 2016” also published on 14 November 2016. This report highlights additional supplemental criteria beyond the Forrester Wave in the form of a “buyer’s guide”. In this report Forrester profiled several additional characteristics for IBM API Connect including the following:
- Offerings across all deployment options: Vendor managed, customer managed, and hybrid
- A free production deployment option for both customer managed and SaaS deployment models (with some feature restrictions)
Worldwide API Management Market Shares, 2015: Year of Consolidation
Published September 2016
Document #: US41701915
Key takeaways from the IDC report:
- IBM growing 1.6x faster than the market
- IBM is #2 in market share, just 0.3% away from top spot
- IBM growing 1.7x faster than leading vendor
- IBM growing 3.5x faster than next closest vendor
Magic Quadrant for Full Lifecycle API Management
Published 27 October 2016
This graphic was published by Gartner, Inc. as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The Gartner document is available upon request from IBM. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Gartner’s comments about Leaders include:
- They are able to address the widest variety of API use cases — internal (A2A), B2B, B2C, on-premises and in the cloud
- They ensure their offerings make their clients thrive in this dynamic environment.
For Gartner’s full evaluation of IBM API Connect (positioned in the Leaders quadrant), please see the reprint url listed above.
Ovum Decision Matrix: Selecting an API Management Solution, 2016-2017
Published 11 April 2016
Ovum lists some of IBM’s strengths as:
- IBM’s API management solution offers a simple extension of the integration capabilities provided by IBM WebSphere middleware platforms to cater for a range of use cases. Only a few middleware vendors can provide such an extensive set of integration capabilities required for supporting digital business initiatives.
- IBM offers a compelling set of end-to-end API management capabilities and strategy consulting services, with an increased focus on driving ease of use and developer productivity, and simplifying the governance of enterprise API initiatives exposing digital assets for the development of new applications/services, channels, and business models.
We know that many businesses consider analyst perspectives as part of the evaluation process. We hope that providing pointers to these current reports is helpful to your evaluation and consideration of IBM API Connect.
To understand more about IBM’s thoughts on the API Economy visit the IBM API Economy website. IBM API Connect is IBM’s complete foundation to Create, Run, Manage, and Secure APIs. You can find more information about IBM API Connect at the API Connect website. And you can also experience a trial version of API Connect.
If you have questions, please let me know. Connect with me through comments here or via twitter @Arglick to continue the discussion.