API Connect & Gateways Releases
We are thrilled to announce the biggest enhancements to date for API Connect & DataPower Gateway offerings that power digital innovation and transformation initiatives for thousands of organizations across industries. Here is a list of whatâ€™s already available to help grow your business!
- API Connect 2018.1.0 delivers a scalable multi-cloud API solution built on cloud-native, microservices architecture to enable deployment on bare metal, virtual or cloud platform of your choice, independent scaling of components and end-to-end DevOps. It includes a simpler, faster Developer Portal with a modern UI to effectively engage developers, and a more scalable Analytics component with flexible dashboard/visualization plus offloading controls for improved business insights.
- DataPower Gateway 7.7 delivers multi-cloud support for API Connect 2018.1.0 with dynamic and autonomous gateway clustering.
- IBM DataPower Gateway X2 provides a next-generation, purpose-built hardware platform that is highly secure, consumable, DMZ-ready to secure and control workloads across digital channels.
- IBM DataPower Operations Dashboard (DPOD) 1.0.7 adds support for DataPower Gateway X2 appliance and tenant isolation capability plus tighter integration with API Connect.
To Get Started, sign up for API Connect SaaS OR see Installing API Connect v2018 for Docker Containers or VMWare for deploying in environments managed by you.
While we wrap up 2017, API Connect and Gateways products introduced new capabilities detailed below. Please continue to provide us with your valuable feedback on what to improve in the future.
- Get started with APIs easily and quickly on IBM Cloud with 1-click signup using the brand new landing page and navigation experience.
- Secure and control APIs and services on IBM Cloud Private with DataPower Gateway. See the following blog for how-to steps on getting started in under 10 minutes.
- Secure individual APIs with TLS mutual authentication, support multiple OAuth redirect URLs and more with API Connect V22.214.171.124. For a complete list of fixes in the release, click here.
- Third-party cloud deployment: use API Connect in a customer managed environment on Amazon Web Services via VMware Cloud on AWS.
- API Monetization Enhancements with new analytics visualization specific to monetization data, and automatic billing vendor updates.
- Open ID Connect support within API Connect to address EU PSD2 and OpenBanking requirements while accelerating market delivery of APIs by enabling connectivity with identity solutions.
- Enhanced security with advance token management and OAuth updates for flexible control over resources with dynamic scope check.
- Smart updates to the API definition for target endpoint lifecycle.
- Two factor authentication (TFA) to secure APIs and meet modern security protocols, comply with corporate security measures, and integrate with modern authentication applications like Google and Authy.
- Custom analytics visualizations utilizing new user-defined fields and linkages to API parameters in the API definition. Simple analytics field configuration available in the new analytics tab of the API Designer.
- API Gateway Tenant isolation of gateway workloads. Run multiple Gateway instances with runtime isolation (memory and cpu) for enhanced operational resiliency on the same appliance with flexibility to upgrade each tenant independently allowing you to deploy API and non-API workloads at the same time and manage them at their pace.
- Seamlessly integrate existing services with IBM Cloud AppID in seconds without worrying about SDKs or OAuth complexities. API updates can be made by mobile and web developers from social logins like Google, Facebook, etc.
- Troubleshooting and Analytics Enhancements with DataPower Operations Dashboard (DPOD) integration with API Connect.
- Isolation, Performance and Flexibility with API Connect Reserved Instance on IBM Cloud.
- IBM Cloud Secure Gateway service delivers 0 downtime updates, i.e. no disruption of service during service upgrades, and adds ability to connect via a proxy from remote environments.
- Monetization support to track & generate revenue via API program with out-of-the-box integration with Stripe.
- API initiatives for a global audience with multi-lingual support for APIs and Products allowing to meet regional requirements and / or government regulations.
- DataPower Operations Dashboard v1.0.4 delivers 10x performance improvement, guidance on high availability (HA) deployment best practices and REST APIs in support of DevOps automation.
- DataPower v7.6 Tech Preview integrated with API developer toolkit: Develop and test API security, traffic management and mediation policies for enhanced productivity without restarting the gateway. Download the toolkit.
- Hybrid entitlement and deployment: Entitlements can be applied in any combination of on-premises, virtual, and cloud environments that you wish. See here for more info.
- Secure hybrid connectivity: Connect your front-end experience on IBM Cloud to API back-ends hosted anywhere, with cloud friendly pricing.
- Hybrid deployment freedom: Co-locate API Gateways with any back-end, and control it all on IBM Cloud Dedicated.
- Docker container support: Docker support for gateway development within the cloud environment of your choice.
- Performant & scalable: Highly performant & scalable microservices-based architecture for multi-cloud choice (coming soon*).
- Socialize APIs from multiple LoBs in a single developer portal: Different teams within a an organization can socialize their APIs in a single corporate developer portal to increase the exposure of their APIs, while each team retains LoB specific control.
- Docker orchestration for microservices runtime management to simplify alignment to corporate standards: Runtime management of polyglot microservices in the open industry standard Docker containers for enhanced operational productivity and consistent DevOps processes.
- OpenAPI extensions for standards-based API customizations: Add extensions to your API definition to add additional metadata as required by your organization.
- Real-time Analytics offload to third party tools: Easily off-load analytics to popular systems like Splunk and SAP for improved insights.
- Monetization support to track & generate revenue via API program: New and simple user experience for setting monetized API plans, pricing details, usage tracking and billing for API product managers (coming Soon*).
- Performant & Flexible new API Gateway, built on DataPower: Natively built API Gateway with low-level optimizations in the platform to provide increased performance with new built-in policies (Coming soon*).
- API Connect workload isolation on DataPower physical gateways: Run API Gateway services as isolated tenants with configurable CPU, memory file systems for operational resiliency (coming soon*).
- Built-in API Management in IBM Cloud: Developers can build serverless OpenWhisk and traditional Cloud Foundry apps in IBM Cloud Public, and secure, control their APIs.
- DataPower integration with API developer toolkit: Develop and test API security, traffic management and mediation policies for enhanced productivity. Download the toolkit.
- Revamped NGINX & Node.js Microgateway: Now open sourced programmable and extensible framework to build your own gateway solution for unlimited extensibility.
- SwaggerHub integration with auto-sync: Use SwaggerHub to design APIs and easily deploy to API Connect on IBM Cloud to speed API delivery.
- In-app chat with API Connect experts: Post questions and feedback to the API experts without leaving the API Connect interface and get responses in minutes.
- Built-in monitoring for Node.js microservices: Instant, power, live insights into Node.js applications through Node Application Metrics.
- Automated API creation in Swift: Create server side Swift microservices using the API Connect Developer Toolkit in minutes (coming soon*).
- Arif Siddiqui – Program Director, API Connect & Gateway Product Management and Strategy
- Amit Acharya – Program Director, API Connect & Gateway Product Management and Strategy
With third quarter in the books for 2017, API Connect and Gateways have more features and functions than ever. We have listed each new feature below along with a blog with further details continuing into our three key investment areas for the year. Please continue to provide us with feedback as it is valuable in deciding what to improve going forward.
Enterprise API Lifecycle
Continuing the leadership into key investment areas for 2017, below is the list of major features delivered with their own blogs and videos. Let us know what you think and what you would like to see in the future.
Enterprise API Lifecycle
2017 promises to be a banner year for API Connect and Gateways. Already a robust and comprehensive solution to API management and security, our offerings will grow to match your needs wherever or however you want to use them. You don’t meet us halfway; we meet you exactly where you need us to.
Embracing multi-cloud design as a core component of development, we now offer more options for deployment than ever before. Enterprise API Lifecycle management has been streamlined and improved, giving you easy access to even more levers to control your APIs. And we’ve introduced new tools to increase developer productivity, so you can meet the diverse demands of marketplace quickly and effectively.
Below is a list of major features we are adding this year, with their own blog posts and ready-to-go tutorials. Take a look and find out how API Connect and Gateways can grow your business!
Enterprise API Lifecycle
*Statement of Direction published here. Subject to change without notice.
Contacts for API Connect & GW – What’s New & Roadmap: