How to train on cloud and artificial intelligence technologies
Get resources to enhance your skills.
Information technologies are evolving at high speed, and developers, architects, data-scientists, CTOs, and CIOs must constantly keep up to date and train on infrastructure, middleware, cloud, artificial intelligence, and data science. This blog provides training resources mainly in the three latter areas, which are embodied in IBM in products, often based on open source.
Therefore, it’s necessary to be able to train not only on concepts but also on open source libraries and products. The list given here is not comprehensive, yet it will help beginners to get started, and experts might discover previously unknown territories. It includes:
- Cognitive Class
- IBM Developer
- IBM Skills Gateway
- IBM Coursera
- IBM YouTube Channels
- IBM Garage
- IBM online documentation of cloud offerings
- IBM’s Center for Open Source Data and AI Technologies.
In the area of AI and data science, IBM offers Cognitive Class, which includes programs and courses on:
- Concepts (example: Deep Learning Fundamentals)
- Methodologies (example: Data Science Methodology)
- Infrastructure (example: Reactive Architecture: Introduction to Reactive Systems)
- Languages (example: Data Visualization with Python)
- Introduction courses (example: Predictive Modeling Fundamentals I)
- Advanced courses (example: Accelerating Deep Learning with GPU)
For those who want to dig into a topic vertically, it’s possible to follow programs (or tracks). An example is Deep Learning. If you pass the online exams proposed along this track, you can get a digital certificate (a badge). See here for more information on badges. Badges are well-recognized in the IT, data science, and AI communities.
The format of these tutorials include presentations, videos, and hands-on labs. The durations vary, but they are generally short (5 hours on average, but up to 10 hours or more). Most of the time, the site provides you with the programming environment.
The tutorials section of IBM Developer lets you navigate through a large catalog of content. You can search the one you need by technology, component, industry, and deployment mode. The tutorials are development-oriented and quite technical. You can train on cloud technologies, data science, AI, databases, security, and more.
IBM Skills Gateway
IBM Skills Gateway is a tutorials portal and includes videos and articles. To deal with this huge content, a good approach is to choose from the 143 certifications, or the 115 “journeys” (learning tracks). The main topics are AI, analytics, cloud, security, systems, Watson, and Watson Health.
You can find courses on concepts but also on IBM products and services. For example, you can find courses on the development of machine learning models within the machine learning track. The result is a set of 14 courses, which are labs are based on IBM Watson Studio.
Here are more examples of what you can find in this huge catalog:
- IBM Cloud Application Development v3
- IBM Cloud Platform Advanced Application Development v1
- IBM Certified Application Developer – Cloud Solutions v3
IBM partners with Coursera to offer a number of online classes and tracks on their platform. Many of these classes lead to a Coursera certification. To find them, just type IBM in Coursera’s search bar. For example, here is an AI Engineering certification.
Also, there are many data science classes, including Advanced Data Science with IBM, which leads to a Coursera certification.
IBM YouTube channels
IBM controls several YouTube channels, especially in artificial intelligence and data science. The following list shows a few Watson training examples.
- How to build dialog in your chatbot with Watson Assistant (15mn)
- Neural Machine Translation with Watson Language Translator
- Watson Natural Language Understanding Technical Deep Dive
- Building with Watson: Visualize unstructured content with Watson NLU
- What’s new for understanding personality, emotion and tone with Watson
- Watson Speech to Text and Watson Text to Speech
- Visual Recognition
IBM Garage is a fast-paced technology shift consulting service. IBM Garage start-up agility is based on its genuine documented methodology. The architecture center is an important chapter of this IBM Garage website.
For example, you can find there architectures for:
- Securing applications and environments in the cloud
- Cloud Data Management
- Build a data lake
- Application modernization
IBM Cloud solutions online documentation
IBM Center for Open Source Data and AI Technologies
Also known as CODAIT, this center brings together many articles and tutorials that guide you through multiple topics such as web development, serverless architecture, data science, storage, and containers.
Depending on the time you have, your preferred way of learning (videos, slides, labs, or articles), and your objectives (certification, curiosity, technical deep dive on a specific open source library or product) there should be something for you! It’s now up to you to train, get informed, and stay up to date on tech trends!