Struggling to get to grips with Java in CICS, need some education for your new Java developers, or want some learning materials to download and watch on your tablet? This new IBM Redbooks video course â€“ Developing a RESTful Web application for Liberty in CICS is for you!
The course provides a step-by-step guide for creating a simple RESTful Javaâ„¢ application, then deploying it into WebSphere Liberty running in CICS Transaction Server for z/OS (CICS TS) V5. Its primarily aimed at Java application developers who want to get started with Liberty development in CICS, but is also applicable to experienced CICS COBOL developers who are learning Java.
There are 14 short lectures broken down into 6 sections providing about an hours worth of education in total. Each lecture can be viewed online, or downloaded for usage offline along with a dedicated set of Java and COBOL samples hosted in the cics-java-liberty-restapp Git repository. Also provided is a set of associated questions and answers hosted on dw Answers.
Topics covered in the education include:
- Concepts and terms used in Java and RESTful applications
- Installing and configuring z/OS Explorer and CICS Explorer
- Creating an Eclipse environment for developing CICS Java applications
- Configuring CICS to run Java applications in a Liberty JVM server
- Developing the application, using the supplied sample course materials
- Deploying and testing the application in CICS
- Extending the sample Java application in order to access other CICS programs
By the end of this course you will have created an Eclipse development environment capable of producing CICS Java and web applications. You can use this environment to create a simple RESTful application and then extend the application to interact with the CICS runtime and communicate with other CICS COBOL programs.
Let us know what you think, and whether you have any further ideas for additional CICS education as we will be delivering more courses in this series throughout the year, or feel free to ask a question on dW Answers using a tag of the course code crse0300.