Date(s) - September 13, 2017
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
This event has finished. See the recording on the IBM Code YouTube channel.
NOTE: All IBM Code Tech Talks are held at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time (North America) unless otherwise specified. A replay of the presentation will be available for viewing on our Ustream page immediately and will be added to the IBM Code YouTube channel shortly after the call.
Discover the underlying technologies and architecture required to build natural language interfaces to control IoT devices. The session covers serverless frameworks, which are gaining significant traction in the IoT community, offering auto-scaling and pay-per execution in the cloud.
You will learn about the basics of the architecture and deployment process and will discuss practical use cases to emphasize how OpenWhisk, an open source serverless framework can be leveraged in conjunction with popular IoT platforms to create solutions for home automation, security, and web applications. In addition, we will demonstrate how to pair Openwhisk and cognitive natural language services offered by the IBM Watson Platform to build your version of Alexa or Google Home. Other technologies we will touch during the presentation are real-time event-driven messaging with MQTT and IFTTT.
- Kalonji Bankole: Kalonji is a software engineer for the IBM IoT/Mobile team based in Los Angeles, California. During his time at IBM, Kalonji has worked with multiple customers to adopt leading-edge cloud technologies. He works with open technologies such as Ansible, BOSH, Cloudfoundry, Docker, Openwhisk and MQTT to develop new IoT solutions. He is currently working on Openwhisk, an open source event driven framework that was recently admitted to the Apache incubator. He has previously spoken at Bluemix meetups, the Openstack Europe summit, and the OpenIoT Europe summit and is an advocate for cognitive services, event driven architectures, and pub/sub messaging systems.
- Learn more: Internet of Things architecture
- Developer journey: Implement voice controls for serverless home automation hub
- Developer journey: Create a sports buddy with TJBot and Watson
- Developer journey: Correlate flight and weather data in augmented reality
The IBM Code Tech Talks are a series of calls and demos where IBM Code journey project owners peel back the covers of their journey projects, sharing functions, techniques, challenges, and goals.
The series is designed to help you understand more about the journeys currently on IBM Code, introduce you to the developers, communities, and ecosystems that are driving open source innovation at IBM, and help you discover opportunities to use and contribute to these projects and connect with the innovators and communities behind them.
To see previously recorded IBM Code Tech Talks, visit the IBM Code YouTube channel.