As you may already know, 2018 was a pivotal year for CEBIT for many reasons. The fair has undergone a complete makeover; you would hardly recognize it. After almost 50 years, the expo not only changed its name by capitalising every letter (CeBIT has transformed to become CEBIT), it also changed its scheduling, opting for...
The web is home to massive amounts of data, with more being created every moment of every day. Organizations that can harness this constant stream of information to gain understanding, plan strategies, and find opportunities will be successful. Developers who can help them do it will be essential.
The Watson Discovery service enables developers to create cloud-native applications for cognitive search and content analytics. Watson Discovery News is available as pre-enriched data collection within Watson Discovery, offering a ready-to-use dataset of the latest news that is updated continuously, with approximately 300,000 new articles and blogs added daily.
This developer journey shows you how to tap into that massive data set to mine insight. You’ll build a news mining web application with the Watson Discovery service using the Watson Node.js SDK. The journey demonstrates two use cases using Watson Discovery News:
- Search: Query for the most relevant new articles about a specific topic or subject. Because the news collection is pre-enriched with natural language processing, you can query not just on keywords or categories but also on concepts, sentiment, and relations to get richer search responses.
- Trending topics in the news: Identify popular topics over the past 24 hours. Topics can be general, or specific to an industry or category.
This journey will help you hone your app development and services skills. When you complete it, you’ll understand how to:
- Create a news mining web application with Watson Discovery using Node.js
- Use basic Watson Discovery features, like how to search and find trending results
- Build an RSS News Feed generator to push trending topic news to your favorite RSS reader
- Build a SlackBot to access the search feature from Slack
- The user interacts with the app UI to request relevant news content.
- The app sends user requests to Watson Discovery News.
- The Watson Discovery Service is continually crawling the web to update its Discovery News collection.
- The Watson Discovery Service responds to Slack search requests.
- The Watson Discovery Service seeds news articles to the RSS Reader.