Gary Gruver talks software development and delivery transformation
Systematic approaches to digital transformation, stable quality signals, fast feedback, and how his consulting is changing the industry
Finally! We were able to spend some time with two greats in the DevOps world: Rosalind Radcliffe and Gary Gruver. No doubt you know Rosalind — if not, you must show us the rock you’ve been living under. And it would be equally impressive if you’d not heard of our very special guest, Gary Gruver.
Many familiar with The DevOps Handbook will recognize the name from the prominent HP case study and discussion surrounding his role in transforming HP’s LaserJet FutureSmart Firmware division. Gary has had quite the career, and since his time at HP he has begun a new chapter with his consulting firm, Gruver Consulting. He’s even penned a few books of his own in that time:
- Engineering the Digital Transformation
- Starting and Scaling DevOps in the Enterprise
- Leading the Transformation: Applying Agile and DevOps Principles at Scale
- A Practical Approach To Large-Scale Agile Development
However, Gary didn’t come to talk to us about books. In this episode, we traverse many topics, but here are a few of the highlights:
- Where the idea of continuous delivery really began for Gary (hint, while at HP)
- Systematic approaches to engineering the Digital Transformation
- The challenges with organizational inertia and how it impedes change
- Stable quality signals and automated testing
- How microservices isn’t always the right answer
- The importance of “fast feedback” and building quality into your code
- How Gary’s training and certifications are enabling organizations to optimize their software delivery practices
And that is just the tip of the iceberg. We covered a lot more ground in this (just shy of an hour) episode — too much to list. So we encourage you to stay through to the end. And if you have any stories you’d like to share, Rosalind would love to hear from you. Email her today.
Want to learn more about Gruver Consulting and the training and certification opportunities? Well, you’re in luck. You can check that out here too.
Enjoy the show!