In this developer code pattern, use Transformation Advisor on IBM Cloud Pak™ for Applications to evaluate a traditional on-premises WebSphere® application. We’ll use Transformation Advisor, download the generated migration bundle, and use its recommendations to deploy that app in a WebSphere Liberty container running on IBM Cloud Pak for Applications running on the IBM-managed OpenShift.
A sample web app is provided to demonstrate migration from on-premises to the IBM Cloud.
When you have completed this code pattern, you will understand how to:
- Access IBM Cloud Pak for Applications on the IBM-managed OpenShift cluster (ICP4A)
- Use Transformation Advisor to create a custom data collector
- Run the custom data collector to analyze a traditional WebSphere app
- Review the Transformation Advisor reports to see migration complexity, cost, and recommendations
- Generate artifacts to containerize the app
- Move the modernized app to IBM Cloud Pak for Applications on an IBM-managed OpenShift cluster using a generated migration bundle
- Access the IBM Transformation Advisor on IBM Cloud Pak for Applications on the IBM-managed OpenShift cluster.
- Download a custom data collector from IBM Transformation Advisor.
- Run the data collector on the traditional WebSphere Application Server host where the migrating application is running.
- Data collector analysis is uploaded automatically or manually.
- Review recommendations in Transformation Advisor and create a migration bundle.
- Download the migration bundle.
- Use Docker to build an image and upload it to the OpenShift Docker registry.
- Create an app using the pushed image and run the containerized app.
Ready to get started? Check out the README for detailed instructions on how to:
- Install IBM Cloud Pak for Applications
- Get started with the Transformation Advisor
- Download and run the Data Collector
- Upload results, if necessary
- View the recommendations and cost estimates
- Complete your migration bundle
- Deploy your application on ICP4A