Optimove integrated solution.
The integrated solution of Watson Campaign Automation and Optimove helps increase customer engagement and spend by using predictive customer modeling to personalize retention campaigns.
Marketers use Optimove to plan their customer marketing campaigns based on advanced customer segmentation available in the product. Using Optimove's customer modeling system, marketers are able to easily define and discover interesting groups of customers to target - groups that the company's marketers wouldn't have been able to identify and otherwise target.
Every night, the Optimove software generates the specific lists of customer IDs to receive each pre-planned marketing campaign â€“ along with the IBM email template ID and scheduled send time. Optimove pushes the lists to IBM via API and IBM Engage sends out each personalized campaign at the specified time.
During and after the campaignâ€™s execution, Optimove reports on the financial success metrics of each campaign (compared to a pre-selected control group) or the winner of an A/B campaign test, and incorporates email delivery, open and click metrics acquired via IBMâ€™s API.
To summarize, the Optimove software connects to IBM via API for two purposes:
- To instruct IBM to send out a particular email template to a specified list of customer IDs.
- To receive from IBM email campaign metrics (delivery rate, open rate and click rate).
How it Works
1. Prepare Customer Database in IBM Engage
Once the marketer has opened the IBM account, his first step is to export the required customer data into IBM Engage. At a minimum, this data will include customer ID, first name, last name and email address. It is important that the freshness of his data be maintained on a daily basis, e.g., when new customers join, their information must be promptly updated in IBM.
2. Prepare Customer Data for import into Optimove
The marketer, usually with assistance from internal IT staff, prepares the companyâ€™s raw data into specific formats required by Optimove. These customer profile tables, which describe each customer's attributes, will be imported daily by Optimove. Optimove uses this data to segment customers into a variety of dimensions (lifecycle stages, micro-segments, etc.) and to track the behavior of customers and target groups over time.
3. Connecting Optimove to the IBM API
In order for Optimove to connect to the IBM API, it needs to receive login credentials to the clientâ€™s API instance as well as the ID of a particular customer database in IBM. All communication between the Optimove and IBM servers is via XML over HTTP.
4. Using the Joint Optimove-IBM Solution to Create and Send Customer Campaigns
Retrieving the List of Email Templates
When the marketer sets up an email campaign in Optimove to be sent via IBM, the software retrieves a list of all available email templates via the IBM API. The user can choose the desired template for the campaign from a drop-down list and can also view a preview of the email itself from within Optimove.
Sending an Email Campaign
Each time Optimove actually sends an email campaign via IBM, Optimove connects to the IBM API and performs the following steps:
- Optimove creates a IBM â€śqueryâ€ť inside the Optimove folder of the IBM query library.This query contains the list of customer IDs to receive the email. Notes:
Optimove instructs IBM to send the email by providing the following parameters:
- This customer list is generated by Optimove according to the target group segmentation defined within Optimove.
- Optimove does not store actual customer addresses in its database. Rather, the customer IDs used by the client to identify each customer are used by both Optimove and IBM.
- The ID of the previously-created query.
- The ID of the email template to use (this is selected by the user, in Optimoveâ€™s Run Campaign wizard, from among all the email campaign templates created by the user inside IBM).
- The date and time of day when IBM should deliver the email (this is also specified by the user in the Run Campaign wizard).
Once each day, for a period of one week following the sending of each IBM mailing, Optimove connects to the API in order to retrieve delivery rate, open rate and click rate metrics for the campaign. These metrics are displayed within Optimoveâ€™s Campaign Analysis page for each executed campaign.