Beginning with the release of IBM WebSphere Portal and Web Content Manager V8.5, the IBM Digital Experience (DX) technical leads delivered a steady stream of cumulative feature and fixpack (CF) releases that you apply to DX solutions. These CF packages add valuable new features and enhancements to your deployments and all updates are carried forward to subsequent CF releases.
The introduction of WebSphere Portal and Web Content Manager V9 (December 2016) extended this release model. V9 released simultaneously with the CF 13 release and included an upgrade process for V8.5 customers to move to V9. V8.5 customers could also choose to apply the CF and remain on the V8.5 platform. See the What is New in Digital Experience Version 9 webcast for a technical overview of the process. The WebSphere Portal and Web Content Manager V8.5 and V9 CF 14 extends the continuous delivery model and provides new (and cumulative) enhancements and fixes for customers using the DX Version 8.5 and Version 9 platform.
What’s New in the Combined Cumulative Fix (CF) 14?
As outlined in What’s New in CF14, this CF release provides performance and feature updates for DX customers and can be applied to WebSphere® Portal and Web Content Manager version 8.5 and 9.0.
- Web Application Bridge (WAB) component enhancements, when deploying multiple webdock integrations to singe portal pages. CF14 adds event processing services for more efficient sub-domain URL processing with multiple web dock applications on the same portal page.
- Web Content Manager performance enhancements:
- Improved JCR query processing of large data sets
- Options to improve cache performance by setting the workflow.skipDefaultManagerAccess property to true in the WCM WCMConfigService service to disable automatic assignment of manager role when creating or editing Web Content Manager artifacts.
- Two new Portal Access Control parameters were added improve access control data processing
- Integration with IBM Connections V6 Blog and Blog comments services, using the Digital Data Connector and Social Rendering templates. With the release of CF14, the DX support statements are updated to support Connections 6.
For customers seeking to integrate Connections Blog and Blog Comments, a common use case, use the Digital Data Connector (DDC) and Social Rendering template to present the Connections content through DX pages to users.
As outlined in the Digital Data Connector and Social Rendering Template documentation, the following components of the IBM Connections Portlets for WebSphere Portal catalog asset are required to configure the Social Rendering Templates for Digital Data Connector: VMM Adapter, POC Resolver, and Display Plugin Provider. So, if the Digital Data Connector and Social Rendering template (only) is required, deploy the infrastructure that includes the IBM Connections Portlets components to support the Digital Data Connector and Social Rendering Template as outlined here: Installing just the infrastructure for the portlets
WebSphere Portal and Web Content Manager Version 9 offer integration with IBM Watson Content Hub, which lets Version 9 content authors combine content and assets from the WCH solution and present to their DX audiences. Through its continuous delivery updates, WCH continues to present innovative cognitive services that can speed design and delivery of immersive DX experiences.
In addition, there are additional fixes integrated to this latest DX V8.5 and V9 CF14 release. You can see a list of those on the IBM FixCentral page: Recommended Updates for WebSphere Portal and IBM Web Content Manager V8.5 and V9.0
You can reach me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter @LaurenWendel52, or on LinkedIn