Have you heard? Hybrid cloud is the new norm. It’s the cornerstone of IT on the path to digital transformation.
How do we know this? In 2016, IBM® Center for Applied Insights published findings from their survey of 500 IT decision makers worldwide with organizations that have implemented hybrid environments. The survey revealed that 7 out of 10 enterprises indicated a need for a blend of traditional IT and cloud. This need is particularly true as they move applications to the cloud or build new, innovative applications in the cloud. In this environment, some of the resources, such as databases and back-end business processes, run on traditional IT systems on-premises and interact with applications that run in a public cloud.
What’s driving this need for hybrid cloud?
Let’s look at three key forces behind this push to hybrid cloud:
- Innovation. Innovation enables enterprises to rapidly add business value with new services and applications. At minimum, public cloud vendors must provide a cloud platform that focuses on speed and agility to rapidly assemble solutions with instant runtimes and composable services. They must provide continuous delivery using DevOps methods. And, they must treat mobile application development as a priority.
- Optimization. Optimization helps to reduce cost and minimize risk. For optimization of traditional on-premises IT systems, cloud vendors must provide systems that focus on operational efficiency, consolidation, standardization, and operations automation.
- Security. To build hybrid cloud solutions, the public cloud platform needs to provide a secure connection between applications in the public cloud to on-premises IT systems. This secure connection must be resilient, cost-effective, and tamper proof.
What does a comprehensive hybrid cloud solution look like?
IBM has pioneered a wealth of hybrid cloud solutions for both the public cloud and traditional IT systems. By implementing these solutions, you can quickly and securely develop and deliver innovative, cloud-native applications to automate manual processes and enhance mobile services. Here are some examples of IBM hybrid cloud solutions:
- Build a hybrid cloud solution with IBM PureApplication and Bluemix
- 3 steps to accelerate your mobile apps with APIs by using API Connect
- Adopt a hybrid cloud model using Bluemix
- Series: Making a healthier planet with Bluemix and hybrid cloud technologies
- Build a hybrid mobile app with Bluemix, Watson, and Apache Cordova
- Hybrid Integration Part 1 – On premises to multiple clouds. Going beyond the “Whizz-Bang” tool demos
- Hybrid Integration Part 2 – IBM Application Integration Suite in a representative hybrid cloud landscape
What’s the next step?
As you begin to explore the possibilities of hybrid cloud solutions, I have a few resources to help you get started. First, you can learn about hybrid cloud and the IBM Cloud Platform in the following blogs:
Second, we can’t talk about hybrid cloud without mentioning IBM InterConnect 2017. This event offers learning opportunities, including artificial intelligence, security, Internet of Things, and cognitive computing. It also includes access to 20,000 thought leaders and industry experts who specialize in cloud technologies. Of course, there’s training–lots of training–including certification and expert talks from over 2,000 sessions and over 200 labs. If you plan to attend, see how you can get a 50% discount off your InterConnect registration.
Now is the time to make hybrid cloud the cornerstone of your enterprise. How will you get started? Share your questions and comments below.
- developerWorks Middleware hub
- developerWorks Middleware library
- WebSphere Application Server WASDev Developer Center
- developerWorks Cloud computing hub
- developerWorks Mobile development hub