Water is the natural resource that is most threatened by climate change and is a prerequisite for life on earth. According to the World Health Organization, 2.2 billion people around the world do not have safely managed drinking water services, 4.2 billion people do not have safely managed sanitation services, and 3 billion people lack basic handwashing facilities. These services are critical in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and other diseases. Even in areas that have these services, there are vast inequalities in the accessibility, availability, and quality of the services.
How can technology solve the problem?
From intelligent solutions for small farmers to recycling showers, technology can make a significant impact on the availability of water and its consumption.
In this workshop, we will show you how you can utilize Node-RED flows and dashboards to help you build a water quality dashboard using GeoJSON. After completing this tutorial, you will be ready to modify these example flows and dashboards to create your own map and data visualization solution as a starter for any application you plan to build to help combat issues related to Clean Water & Sanitation.
🎓 What will you learn?
- Install Node-RED and the prerequisites required to build the dashboards
- Learn about GeoJSON
- Learn how to query the US Geological Survey Watershed API (USGS NLDI API) and get water toxicity scores using Aquagenuity
- Integrate water quality reports into an application
- Build a dashboard that displays GeoJSON area maps and pins
👩💻 Who should attend?
- Software developers
- Data and AI enthusiasts
- Beginner developers
- Developers focused on environment-based solutions
- Developers looking to learn about building dashboards using Node-Red
- Register for the live stream or to watch the replay: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/water-quality
- Sign up for IBM Cloud at: https://ibm.biz/NodeRedCleanWater
- Install Node-RED on IBM Cloud: https://developer.ibm.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-node-red-starter-application/
- Add the following nodes to your Node-RED palette (https://nodered.org/docs/user-guide/runtime/adding-nodes):
- Sign up for a free Aquagenuity Developer API key: https://aquagenuity.com/developer
- Fawaz Siddiqi, Developer Advocate, IBM UAE
- Asna Javed, Lead Developer Advocate, IBM Pakistan
Ready to put your new skills to good use?
Participate in the 2021 Call for Code Global Challenge, by helping us fight back Climate Change, for a chance to win $200,000 and get support from IBM and our technology partners like The Linux Foundation to get your solution deployed around the world.
This isn’t your average hackathon. If you want the chance to build a solution that can make a true impact in the field, Call for Code can turn your idea into action.
Visit https://callforcode.org for more details and FAQs
Check out the resources & starter kits to kick-off your solution: https://developer.ibm.com/callforcode
Dubai, United Arab Emirates