IBM¬ģ Open Platform (IOP) 4.1 with Apache Hadoop based on Ambari, includes a new pack of serviceability tools to assist on the deployment of the product, maintenance and diagnosis.
These serviceability features will help customers to facilitate the installation of the product, as well as technical support personnel to identify operations causing downtime or disruption and restore the product into service.
Serviceability tools require:
- ¬†Set up ssh passwordless among Ambari server node and agents as detailed in Knowledge Center documentation¬† (Preparing your environment ‚Üí Configure your network ).
- Python version of 2.7 or higher. The scripts will need to install the python package “argparse”. Argparse is a simple python package that allows python scripts to set up command line arguments. This package is integrated into Python 2.7 but earlier Python versions do not have this tool.
In order to use IOP 4.1 serviceability tools,¬† customer will need to untar the tarball file “biginsights-serviceability.tar.gz” which is available to download in Diagnostic Scripts for IBM BigInsights web site after accepting the license of use.
The .tar.gz file contains the script tools and a README file explaining how to use them.¬†To untar the tarball file execute the following command in your master node:
tar -zxvf biginsights-serviceability.tar.gz
The serviceability pack includes a set of python scripts covering the following features:
- Pre-installation checks: prechecker.py script reviews pre-installation requirements and recommendations, such as: operating system, jdk version, python version, related running processes,¬† directories,¬† required software…
- Health¬† service¬† checks:¬† healthCheck.py script produces the status and the result of the service checks for the running services.
- Version and configuration: versionAndConfig.py script collects output information regarding service versions, stack version, and options & configurations for the installed services.
- Log collection:¬† logCollection.py script collects and package together service logs from each host on the cluster.
For more details on how to consume this set of scripts and what is the expected output, consult the README file available after the biginsights-serviceability tarball file is installed.
In case of¬† product downtime or disruption contact your IBM customer support representatives and they will provide you¬†guidance on how to use these serviceability tools.
Special acknowledgments to Anthony Groves for his work on this serviceability topic.