This code pattern is part of the Watson Discovery learning path.
|100||Introduction to Watson Discovery||Article|
|101||Create a cognitive news search app||Code pattern|
|201||Create an app to perform intelligent searches on data||Code pattern|
|301||Get customer sentiment insights from product reviews||Code pattern|
|401a||Enhance customer helpdesks with Smart Document Understanding using webhooks in Watson Assistant||Code pattern|
|401b||Enhance customer helpdesks with Smart Document Understanding using the Watson Assistant search skill||Code pattern|
- Use code that is written in Node.js, with the server-side using the Express framework and the client using ReactJS
- Use the pre-built Watson Discovery News collection
- Access the Watson Discovery Service through the Discovery API
Optionally, you can choose to host the app on IBM Cloud.
This code pattern shows you how to tap into massive data sets to mine insight. You’ll build a news mining web application with the Watson Discovery Service using the Watson Node.js SDK. The app demonstrates two use cases using Watson Discovery News:
Search: Query for the most relevant new articles about a specific topic or subject. Because the news collection is pre-enriched with natural language processing, you can query not just on keywords or categories but also on concepts, sentiment, and relations to get richer search responses.
Trending topics in the news: Identify popular topics over the past 24 hours. Topics can be general or specific to an industry or category.
- The user interacts with the app UI to request relevant news content.
- The app sends user requests to Watson Discovery News.
- The Watson Discovery News Server sends user requests to the Watson Discovery Service.
- The Watson Discovery Service is continually crawling the web to update its Discovery News collection.
Ready to put this code pattern to use? Complete details on how to get started running and using this application are in the README.