Integration Platform as a Service, or iPaaS as itâ€™s more commonly known, is one of the fastest-growing market segments that Gartner tracks â€“ and for good reason! In this blog we take a look at the development of the iPaaS solution and five reasons why your business may benefit from adopting one.
The iPaaS boom
Over the last 10 years, the ease of developing, purchasing and implementing new technologies has led to the explosion of endpoints across many organizations. Business users from teams including sales, marketing, finance and operations have adopted new apps outside the control of central IT as a way to drive productivity, efficiency and transformation within their departments.
As a result, iPaaS has developed as an alternative to traditional middleware solutions, enabling this new breed of integrators to connect, manipulate and utilise the applications and data they care about. As iPaaS capabilities have developed, so too has its user-base. Now capable of meeting more complex use cases, a broad range of users from app & API development and central IT have recognised the ability of iPaaS to increase collaboration, leverage new services and ultimately, deliver faster.
Hereâ€™s five reasons why your business should adopt an iPaaS:
- Ease of access â€“ like any of the â€˜as a serviceâ€™ cloud-based offerings that have transformed the technology market, iPaaS is defined by its ability to deliver rapid setup and time-to-value. Vendors achieve this by providing simple online sign-up processes, flexible subscription-based pricing and fully-hosted access to their solutions. Long gone are the days of lengthy roll-outs â€“ with iPaaS you can be up and running in minutes!
- Ease of use â€“ iPaaS was born from the desire of users outside traditional IT to connect the apps and services they were increasingly using in their departments. As a result, solutions typically offer intuitive, configuration-based tooling that masks the complexity of the operation and enables users with a range of skillsets to quickly become productive. Donâ€™t mistake this simplicity for triviality though â€“ iPaaS solutions offer an ever-increasing capability to meet a range of complex use cases, from API management to Artificial Intelligence.
- Reduced operations â€“ in line with the notion that users want a solution that â€˜just worksâ€™, iPaaS offers significantly reduced operational requirements compared to more traditional, software-based offerings. As a hosted platform, the vendor manages all hardware requirements, patches and fixes to ensure maximum uptime. Exciting new features are rolled out on a frequent basis but with no impact to the user and peaks in demand are easily managed by the highly-scalable nature of a hosted platform.
- Market-place accelerators â€“ iPaaS vendors have developed a number of features that drive productivity in their solutions, from smart connectors that enable rapid connectivity to a broad range of endpoints, to flow templates that expedite the development of integration flows for common use-cases. Tutorials and demos typically support these capabilities and ensure that users achieve and maintain value from the solution.
- Digital integrators â€“ a key distinction of iPaaS is its ability to help users achieve beyond their skillset – increasing productivity and reducing bottlenecks. Intelligent pre-configured mapping between applications, metadata aware connectors and the option to enrich integration flows with artificial intelligence are a few examples of how vendors enable their users to achieve more from the tools and data available to them.
iPaaS and IBM
IBM App Connect offers an award-winning iPaaS solution capable of delivering strongly against each of the requirements outlined in this blog. To find out more, visit the website or speak to your IBM Business Partner.