Insightly is a cloud-based customer relationship management (CRM) and project management solution for managing leads, contacts, organizations, and opportunities, and automating your workflow. Whether you are using your Insightly CRM system to manage customer relationships or to manage your projects and tasks, you create the best experience when you have access to the right data.
You can use IBM App Connect to pass key data between Insightly and other apps – automatically, in real time. You can do so using configuration and data mapping without a need for coding, and can achieve a return on your investment in minutes/hours, not days/months.
This guide shows you how.
If you can’t find what you want, or have comments about the “how to” information, please either add comments to the bottom of this page or send us comments by email.
A business scenario
You’re a busy Sales professional with a lot on your plate. You want to make sure that you’re getting the right information to your customers at the right time. For that, you need to understand your customers and their needs. So you’re using Insightly as your CRM to stay on top of your sales processes at every step ‐ from initial lead management and customer communication, through reporting, invoicing, and customer payment.
To make the most of Insightly’s powerful features, you want to make sure that it has access to all the valuable customer information handled by your other apps, like contacts from your sales apps, attendees at events, and completed questionnaires. But you don’t have the time to transfer all this information manually.
How App Connect can help
Connect App Connect to your apps, and let it pass the key information to Insightly – automatically. So no more time wasted manually transferring your new customer data to your CRM.
Similarly, you might be using Insightly for project management – to manage your projects, your tasks, your team’s tasks, and your spending commitments to your customers. When you get new customer data in another app, you might want to create a project or task in Insightly. Instead of spending time adding this information manually, let App Connect update Insightly automatically – in real time. App Connect automates the sharing of this valuable data across these different apps.
What should I consider first?
Before you use App Connect Designer with Insightly, take note of the following considerations:
- To create an integration flow that passes data between Insightly and other apps, you must connect App Connect to each app in the flow. To connect App Connect to your Insightly account, you’ll need the following connection details:
- API key: The API key that App Connect uses to authenticate when making API calls, and which establishes the access permissions that are allowed. To locate this value, see Finding or resetting your API key in the Insightly Help Center.
- API version: The version of the Insightly API that should be used to query and update data in your Insightly instance. App Connect supports the following API versions:
- V2.1: Can be used to work with Insightly events and actions in App Connect. If you want to create a flow that uses an Insightly event as a trigger, the selected account must be set up to use the Insightly V2.1 API.
- V3.1 (the default): Can be used to work only with Insightly actions in App Connect. (If your flow contains an Insightly action, the selected account can be set up to use either V2.1 or V3.1 of the Insightly API.)
Example of completed fields for connecting from App Connect
You can connect to the Insightly app either from the Applications tab on the App Connect Catalog page, or when you add the app to a flow, and will be able to select from the range of events and actions that are discovered.
Tip: Immediately after you connect, rename your account with a meaningful name that helps you identify the instance and API version that the account relates to. You can rename an account only from the Applications tab on the Catalog page, and before it’s used in a flow. For information about renaming accounts, see Managing accounts in App Connect.
- You can use Insightly unique ID numbers in some use cases in App Connect; for example, to create an Insightly Contact record with the visibility restricted to an Insightly team (specified by its unique ID number). For help in finding unique ID numbers, see Accessing an item using a unique ID number in the Insightly Help Center.
Create an event-driven flow that adds a new Eventbrite attendee as an Insightly lead and MailChimp list subscriber
Learn how easy it is to use App Connect Designer to create an event-driven flow that creates an Insightly lead when someone registers for an event in Eventbrite, and subsequently subscribes the attendee to a MailChimp campaign list.