Get Started with healthcare integration
Get started provides information and resources to help you achieve a meaningful first-time experience with the healthcare integration capabilities of IBM Integration Bus.
Healthcare integration, featuring the integration of clinical applications and medical devices that support Health Level Seven International (HL7)-based information flows, is made easier by the healthcare integration capabilities of IBM Integration Bus. Those capabilities are provided by the Healthcare Integration pack.
We’re working on some Get Started videos, so watch this page for future updates.
Get started with your healthcare integration by using pattern-based tools in IBM Integration Bus, without detailed knowledge of integration technologies.
- In a few steps, use a provided healthcare pattern to connect clinical applications that can exchange HL7 v2 messages by using Minimal Lower Layer Protocol (MLLP) over TCP/IP.
- Using the Connected Clinical Applications view of the IBM Integration Bus web UI, you can check that clinical applications are correctly connected, and inspect the operational data for healthcare messages.
- Download the free, full-function, IBM Integration Bus for Developers edition (also known as Developer Edition) to create and test integration solutions: Download IBM Integration Bus V9
- Obtain the IBM Integration Bus Healthcare Pack through the IBM Passport Advantage program.
- Check the “View prices and Buy” button on the IBM Integration Bus Healthcare Pack web page
If you have not bought a copy of the healthcare pack, you can still browse the videos, tutorials, and other resources to learn about developing healthcare integration solutions with IBM Integration Bus.
Before you can install and enable the IBM Integration Bus Healthcare Pack:
- Ensure that IBM Integration Bus version 22.214.171.124 or later is installed on the computer where you plan to install the Healthcare Pack. You must have installed either the Integration Bus component or the IBM Integration Toolkit.
- [Optional] Learn how to set up IBM Integration Bus for Developers and then create and deploy your first integration solution: Get started with IBM Integration Bus V9
To install the healthcare pack, the process is straightforward. You add the healthcare options that your license permits to the IBM Integration Toolkit and run time environment.
Installing and uninstalling IBM Integration Bus Healthcare Pack
Then, you can complete some built-in tests to verify that the installation was successful, the healthcare patterns are installed in the IBM Integration Toolkit, and you can use web-based monitoring for healthcare integration.
The Healthcare: HL7 to HL7 DFDL pattern integrates a clinical application that can send Health Level Seven International (HL7) v2 messages with one or more clinical applications that can receive HL7 messages. This depends on a HL7 model that is used to parse HL7 messages as they are processed by the message flows.
Using the IBM Integration Toolkit, import the HL7 library into your workspace.
Optionally, you can explore the model, to help understand its structure and how it can be used to parse HL7 messages, and can test the model in the Integration Toolkit without the need to deploy to a run time environment.
You can develop healthcare integration solutions to process healthcare data by using the built-in patterns in IBM Integration Bus Healthcare Pack or by developing a message flow from scratch. Your solutions can include data from HL7 applications, DICOM (Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine) modalities, and medical devices.
Explore the message flows and subflows that the healthcare integration uses to receive requests from an HL7 source and send to a destination that was specified in the pattern. The message flows make use of HL7 nodes in addition to core integration nodes such as for transformation and routing.
To be able to run your healthcare integration, you deploy an application to an integration server.
In the IBM Integration Toolkit, you deploy your healthcare solution by dragging and dropping a file onto an integration server. This creates pattern instances that you can test and monitor for the healthcare patterns used by the application.
Use the web user interface for IBM Integration Bus Healthcare Pack to view information about the status of your deployed healthcare pattern instances in a web browser.
Access the web user interface for IBM Integration Bus Healthcare Pack.
In the Connected Clinical Applications view of IBM Integration Bus Web UI, you can test that clinical applications are connected correctly. You also can see information about the message flows in your solution.
In the Operational Monitoring view of IBM Integration Bus Web UI, you can view operational data about your deployed pattern instances to ensure that the flows within these pattern instances are working correctly.
Alternatively, you can test your healthcare integration by using the Healthcare Operational Monitoring View of the Integration Explorer.