The Cisco IOS Insight Pack gives operational administrators and users the ability to use IBM Operations Analytics – Log Analysis to analyze traffic on their installed IOS based Cisco devices . Users can monitor messages that are generated during normal network operations (based on log content) showing the type and severity of any concerns. When noticing peaks they can then drill down into the messages of concern to address potential problems.
The above charts provide an example of the views into the Cisco IOS message types and severity one can gain by using the dashboards provided with the Cisco IOS Insight Pack:
- Message Types on Each Device: Shows the count of the different message types that occurred during the last day.
- Severity Count Against Each Device: Gives the different severities on each device that has occurred during the last day.
The above charts provide an example of the views into the Cisco IOS message types and priority one can gain by using the dashboards provided with the Cisco IOS Insight Pack:
- Message Type Count: Shows different message types received by all detected IOS devices.
- High Priority Messages: Illustrates the number of high priority messages per IOS device.
The Cisco IOS Insight Pack Event Dashboard uses the IOS log content to provide a summary of the health of the connected IOS systems. For example the types of events occurred and message types during the last day.
The Cisco message logging process allows the system to report and save important error and notifications messages to a remote logging server. These syslog messages include messages in a standardized format (often called system error messages) and output from debug commands. These messages are generated during network operation to assist users with identifying the type and severity of a problem, or to aid users in monitoring Cisco IOS activity. Syslog messages can be sent to remote hosts.
A Syslog Server to receive the syslogs transferred from Cisco IOS devices and capture them in a local file, and IBM Log Analysis server has the access to read the same file either remotely or locally. The Cisco IOS must also be configured to send the log messages to a Linux syslog server.
Refer to the Insight Pack documentation for additional information on the Insight Packs and steps for installing and configuring.
Review the following video for information on using and setting up the Insight Pack.
IBM Operations Analytics-Log Analysis Insight Packs for Networks- Premium Install License
Cost: License Fee
- IBM Operations Analytics â€“ Log Analysis version 1.3.0 or above
- Cisco IOS Software V12.x or 15.x based devices
- Syslog Server
- Purchased “IBM Operations Analytics-Log Analysis Insight Packs for Networks- Premium Install License” for each installed Insight Pack.
This package is subject to the License terms included with the Insight Pack, along with those displayed upon download.
To report a problem with deploying this entry, entitled customers may contact the country specific IBM support channel, reference the IBM Worldwide Directory. Also use the “Support” link to access the support site for IBM Operations Analytics – Log Analysis information.