The Cisco Nexus Insight Pack gives operational administrators and users the ability to use IBM Operations Analytics – Log Analysis to analyze traffic on their installed Cisco Nexus devices. This includes using dynamic dashboards to view the rate of critical messages with the ability to drill down into messages needing attention.
The following Dashboard charts depict Nexus devices error log messages based on Severity, Source and MsgType fields of the ingested log records. The default time to capture the dashboard data is set to 1 day and can be configured as needed.
Overall device view
The chart reflects the following:
- All message types that occurred: shown as a Pie Chart reflecting message types that occurred over defined period of time.
- High Severe Occurred Against time: In bubble chart format shows the top 4 severities that occurred over time identifying faulty situations.
Top devices reflecting high severity messages
The chart reflects the following:
- Devices with emergency messages: shown as a bar chart reflecting the top 5 (or number based on setting) devices issuing emergency messages.
- Devices reflecting alert status: shown as a bar chart reflecting the top 5 (or number based on setting) devices issuing alerts.
- Devices showing critical status: shown as a bar chart reflecting the top 5 (or number based on setting) devices in critical status.
- Devices reflecting error status: shown as a bar chart reflecting the top 5 (or number based on setting) devices issuing an error status.
With the included Quick Search feature, users can create saved searches for a keyword or a series of keywords. The searches are added to the saved searches pane for running at a later time. All the Quick Searches in the Cisco Nexus Insight pack are based on the Cisco Nexus log message severity and action.
The following quick searches are provided with the default Insight Pack:
- Alerts Last Day: This search query displays log records where the Cisco Nexus log level is alert (1-Alert).
- Critical Last Day: This search query displays log records where the Cisco ASA log level is critical (2-Critical).
- Errors Last Day: This search query displays log records where the Cisco ASA log level is Error (3-Error).
- Emergency Last Day: This search query displays log records where the Cisco Nexus log level is Emergency (0-Emergency).
Reference the Insight Pack User’s Guide for adjusting the dynamic dashboards and quick searches to reflect additional data elements.
The log file is used to capture messages and events generated by the Cisco Nexus devices during Network operations. Administrators use this log to troubleshoot issues raised by the Nexus devices. Cisco Nexus Log files are retrieved as syslog messages to a syslog server, the log file naming convention can be configurable.
Note that the messages syslog should be a syslog standalone message file for the Cisco Nexus messages. It should not be combined with syslog messages from other sources. If other messages are found in the log file, the Insight Pack processing will ignore the none Cisco Nexus messages. For more information on setting up the Cisco Nexus log file please refer to the Data Loading Best Practices section of the Users Guide.
Review the following video for information on using and setting up the Insight Pack.
IBM Operations Analytics-Log Analysis Insight Packs for Networks- Premium Install License
Cost: License Fee
- IBM Operations Analytics â€“ Log Analysis version 1.3.0 or above
- Nexus 5000 or later
- Syslog Server
- Purchased “IBM Operations Analytics-Log Analysis Insight Packs for Networks- Premium Install License” for each installed Insight Pack.
This package is subject to the License terms included with the Insight Pack, along with those displayed upon download.
To report a problem with deploying this entry, entitled customers may contact the country specific IBM support channel, reference the IBM Worldwide Directory. Also use the “Support” link to access the support site for IBM Operations Analytics – Log Analysis information.