The Juniper Junos Insight Pack gives operational administrators and users the ability to use IBM Operations Analytics – Log Analysis to analyze traffic on their installed Juniper devices. This includes using dynamic dashboards to view the rate of critical messages with the ability to drill down into messages needing attention for devices running Junos versions 14.x or 15.x.
The following Dashboard charts depict Juniper Junos error log messages based on Severity, Source and MsgType fields of the ingested log records. The default time to capture the dashboard data is set to 1 day and can be configured as needed.
Juniper Junos OS Top 5 Alerted Devices
The chart reflects the following:
- Top 5 Emergency Nodes: Devices showing the highest number of “Emergency” state messages.
- Top 5 Alerted Nodes: Devices showing the highest number of “Alert” state messages.
Juniper Junos OS Top 5 Critical Devices
The chart reflects the following:
- Top 5 Devices Showing Critical Errors: Devices showing the highest number of “Critical” state messages.
- Top Node Error Messages: Devices showing the highest number of “Error” messages.
With the included Quick Search feature, users can create saved searches for a keyword or a series of keywords. The searches are added to the saved searches pane for running at a later time. All the Quick Searches in the Insight pack are based on the Juniper Junos log message severity and action.
The following quick searches are provided with the default Insight Pack:
- JUNOS Emergency Last Day: This search query displays log records where the Juniper Junos log level is emergency (0-Emergency).
- JUNOS Alerts Last Day: This search query displays log records where the Juniper Junos log level is alert (1-Alert).
- JUNOS Criticals Last Day: This search query displays log records where the Juniper Junos log level is critical (2-Critical).
- JUNOS Errors Last Day: This search query displays log records where the Juniper Junos log level is Error (3-Error).
Reference the Insight Pack User’s Guide for adjusting the dynamic dashboards and quick searches to reflect additional data elements.
The Juniper message logging process allows the system to report and save important error and notifications messages to a remote logging server. These syslog messages include messages in a standardized format (often called system error messages) and output from debug commands. These messages are generated during network operation to assist users with identifying the type and severity of a problem, or to aid users in monitoring Juniper Junos activity. Syslog messages can be sent to remote hosts.
Review the following video for information on using and setting up the Insight Pack.
IBM Operations Analytics-Log Analysis Insight Packs for Networks- Premium Install License.
Cost: License Fee
- IBM Operations Analytics â€“ Log Analysis version 1.3.0 or above.
- Juniper device running Junos v14.x or v15.x (configured to send the log messages to a Linux syslog server).
- Syslog Server (receives the syslog records transferred from Juniper Junos devices).
- Purchased “IBM Operations Analytics-Log Analysis Insight Packs for Networks- Premium Install License” for each installed Insight Pack.
This package is subject to the License terms included with the Insight Pack, along with those displayed upon download.
To report a problem with deploying this entry, entitled customers may contact the country specific IBM support channel, reference the IBM Worldwide Directory. Also use the “Support” link to access the support site for IBM Operations Analytics – Log Analysis information.