The VMware NSX Insight Pack gives operational administrators and users the ability to use IBM Operations Analytics – Log Analysis to analyze log metadata from their VMware NSX device logs. This includes using dynamic dashboards to view the rate of important error and alert messages with the ability to drill down into areas needing attention in your NSX device deployments.
VMware NSX Insight Pack Dynamic Dashboards
The dashboards include various charts plotted based on severity, error code and number of log messages. The default time to capture the dashboard data is the last 1 day and can be configured as needed.
Below is the list of dashboards for the VMware NSX Insight pack:
- Severity vs. Event Code: This bar chart shows the error code type by count, colored coded for severity type.
- Number of Log Messages Each Host: Shows the number of log messages per host.
Using the Quick Searches feature for the VMware NSX Insight Pack, users can create saved searches for a keyword or a series of keywords. The searches are added to the “Saved Searches” pane for running at a later time.
The following quick searches are provided with the quick search installer:
- NSX Critical Last Day: This search query displays log records where the NSX severity level is Critical.
- NSX High Last Day: This search query displays log records where the NSX severity is High.
Reference the Insight Pack User’s Guide for adjusting the dynamic dashboards and quick searches to reflect additional data elements.
The VMware NSX message logging process allows the system to report and save important error and notifications messages to a remote logging server (syslog server). These syslog messages include messages in a standardized format (often called system error messages) and output from debug commands. These messages are generated during VMware NSX device network operations to assist users with identifying the type and severity of a problem, or to aid users in monitoring NSX device activity.
The following section contains important information and troubleshooting links for the NSX device Logs.
Review the following video for information on using and setting up the Insight Pack.
IBM Operations Analytics – Log Analysis Insight Packs for Networks – Premium Install License.
Cost: License Fee
- IBM Operations Analytics â€“ Log Analysis version 1.3.1 or above.
- VMware NSX vSphere 6.0 or higher (configured to send the log messages to a Linux syslog server).
- Syslog Server (receives the syslog records transferred from the VMware NSX devices).
- Purchased “IBM Operations Analytics-Log Analysis Insight Packs for Networks- Premium Install License” for each installed Insight Pack.
This package is subject to the License terms included with the Insight Pack, along with those displayed upon download.
To report a problem with deploying this entry, entitled customers may contact the country specific IBM support channel, reference the IBM Worldwide Directory. Also use the “Support” link to access the support site for IBM Operations Analytics – Log Analysis information.