IBM PowerAI Releases
PowerAI Release 1.6.0
Release date: 03/15/2019
What’s new in PowerAI 1.6.0
PowerAI 1.6.0 builds upon the previous releases and includes the following updates and new features:
PowerAI is now packaged as Conda packages and no longer as RPM packages.
- PowerAI Conda packages are available in a Conda channel
- There is no install package to download, instead connect to the PowerAI Conda channel and install your packages from there
- Package dependencies are automatically resolved
- Delivery of packages is open and continuous
- CUDA, cuDNN, and NCCL are now packaged as Conda packages installed by PowerAI. Only the NVIDIA driver needs to be manually installed.
- You can now run more than one framework at the same time in the same environment. For example, you can run TensorFlow and PyTorch at the same time.
- IBM Power System AC922 with NVIDIA Tesla V100 GPUs
- IBM Power System S822LC with NVIDIA Tesla P100 GPUs
Supported operating systems:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.6 (RHEL 7.5 is no longer supported)
- Ubuntu 18.04 is fully supported
This release of PowerAI includes a Conda package named pai4sk, which supports:
- MPI based distribution of “data-loading, training, prediction and metrics” for snapML solvers
- cuDF dataframes for snapML solvers in local mode
- Accelerated ML algorithms from cuML
Updates for distributed deep learning (DDL) include the following:
- Improved support for LSF
- Support for TensorFlow Eager Mode
- TensorFlow Estimator 1.13.0 is now included.
Technology previews include:
- TensorFlow Large Model Support (TFLMS) V1
- Snap ML: snap-ml-spark library
- pai4sk: Decision Tree and Random Forest algorithms from SnapML
- RAPIDS.AI: cuML and cuDF
- Licence information for technology previews is found on the Technology Preview Code page in the IBM Knowledge Center
Previous technology previews are now part of base PowerAI including:
- Large model support for TensorFlow, Caffe, and PyTorch
For more details, including updated and deprecated packages, see the What’s New topic in the IBM Knowledge Center.
For the full release notes and README, including software packages and prerequisites, start with the PowerAI planning topic in the IBM Knowledge Center.
How to get PowerAI 1.6.0
There a several ways for you to get PowerAI 1.6.0.
- Order it. PowerAI 1.6.0 is available as a no charge orderable part number from IBM. To place an order, please contact your IBM representative or authorized Business Partner.
- Download it from here: http://ibm.biz/download-powerai
- Connect to the PowerAI Conda repository
- Get the Docker container from here: https://hub.docker.com/r/ibmcom/powerai/
- Get information about planning, configuring, and managing PowerAI 1.6.0 in the IBM Knowledge Center:
- Read PowerAI and deep learning blogs from the experts
- Review the PowerAI education and technical resources
Previous PowerAI releases
We recommend that you install the most current release of PowerAI, however, if you have an earlier version installed, you can find release information in the IBM Knowledge Center:
Requesting enhancements for IBM PowerAI
The IBM Request for Enhancement (RFE) tool is now available for you to submit formal enhancement requests to the PowerAI development team. One of the benefits of using the RFE tool is that other clients can vote on submitted requirements, which helps IBM to prioritize requests.
Go here get started: ibm.biz/powerai-rfe
The RFE for PowerAI pages are part of IBM Developer and require that you sign in with an IBM ID to submit or vote on a request. You should make sure that your IBM ID profile includes your current company and your email address to ensure that we can contact you if we have questions.
Once on the RFE page, click on the â€śSearchâ€ť tab to view existing requests before you submit a new request. It is much more useful to vote for a previously submitted request than to submit a duplicate request.