With the reality of digital disruption, enterprises must accelerate software delivery. High velocity software delivery relies on an automated, agile tool-chain. The announcement of IBM Application Delivery Foundation for z Systems V3.1.1 on March 13, 2018 brings additional capabilities to help z/OS software delivery teams deliver z/OS components in concert with your agile tool-chain to achieve faster a DevOps feedback loop.
Open, agile tool-chain integration
The focus for ADFz 3.1.1 is facilitating more integration options to support an automated DevOps pipeline. These enhancements include:
- The delivery of IBM Dependency Based Build as a value add feature only available in IBM Developer for z Systems Enterprise Edition V14.1.2. Dependency Based Build (DBB) is an IBM-only build capability for z/OS and provides the facilities to build traditional z/OS applications such as those written in COBOL and PL/I. DBB provides a modern scripting-language-based automation capability, and is built as a stand-alone component that does not require a specific source code manager or pipeline automation tool. Therefore DBB can be used to build z/OS application components as part of an automated delivery pipeline that includes the Rocket Software port of Git for z/OS and Jenkins.
Complementary to IBM Dependency Based Build, IBM Developer for z Systems (IDz) V14.1.2 includes Dependency Based Build Integration to enable submission of User Builds in conjunction with DBB. This capability enables IDz plus DBB to integrate smoothly into a multi-platform DevOps pipeline that uses Git as the version control system. This adds to IDz’s integration with various enterprise SCMs, such as IBM Rational Team Concert, with real-time collaboration, tracking, and traceability, or the more traditional CA EndevorÂ® Software Change Manager.
To better understand how this all fits together, please see this six minute video, IBM Dependency Based Build for Intelligent Application Building on z/OS.
- And if you have embraced SonarQube to enable continuous inspection, IDz V14.1.2 offers the capability to export Developer for z Systems code coverage and test case results into SonarQube format. To see details on how this work, please read this informative blog, Importing IDz Code Coverage Result into SonarQube.
But that is not all. ADFz is a suite of integrated, full-feature tools that can be obtained as part of the suite or individually. And with ADFz 3.1.1, each tool delivers new benefits:
- IBM Developer for z Systems, the developerâ€™s cockpit, providing an integrated development environment for developing and debugging IBM z/OSÂ® applications. V14.1.2 will help developers write cleaner, clearer code, includes IBM-only support for the new Enterprise COBOL 6.2 COPYLOC option, and more.
- IBM Debug for z Systems, powered by IBMâ€™s next generation debug technology, the IBM z/OS Debugger. V14.1.2 of all products that include the z/OS Debugger (IBM Debug for z Systems, IBM Developer for z Systems, and IBM Developer for z Systems Enterprise Edition) pick up enhancements that span code coverage, additional COBOL 6.2 exploitation, and customer request for enhancements (RFEs).
- IBM Fault Analyzer for z/OS simplifies the process of diagnosing z/OS application abends. Fault Analyzer V14.1.2 includes additional COBOL 6.2 exploitation, IDIJAVA support, and better File Manager integration.
- IBM File Manager for z/OS provides a comprehensive set of tools for efficiently manipulating z/OS data. V14.1.2 of File Manager offers File Manager Service Provider for z/OS Connect to enables client applications to access data sources through File Manager for z/OS using REST APIs generated by z/OS Connect Enterprise Edition.
- IBM Application Performance Analyzer, to help you identify z/OS application performance and response time problems, and assists in reducing resource consumption. Application Performance Analyzer V14.1.2 brings automatic report generation, multijob measurement and A02 report enhancements, plus the ability to add ASID or PID as selection criteria when creating a new observation.
ADFz can underpin all levels of your digital transformation initiatives- from keeping your core z/OS applications running optimally, all the way to helping you achieve shift left testing as part of an automated delivery pipeline as an essential part of your DevOps tool chain.
To learn more, check out the following resources:
- The latest IBM Developer for z Systems videos, which provide a back to the basics overview on some of capabilities that make z/OS developers lives’ easier:
- No charge IDz training
- And then, once you have taken the training, get badged!