IBM Z Open Development is a modern, lean integrated development environment with program understanding, edit, debug, and build automation capabilities. Z Open Development opens the door to a platform neutral, continuous integration and deployment pipeline that is inclusive of z/OS application components.
It is a starter toolset for z/OS development teams who plan to transform and unify their software delivery practices around modern source code management systems such as Git and Rational Team Concertâ„˘.
Modern editors for COBOL, JCL and PL/I
- COBOL, JCL and PL/I editors
- Language-specific features such as syntax highlighting and source actions
Graphical views to improve program understanding
- Program control flow: a graphical view of the logical flow within a COBOL or PL/I program.
- Program data flow: a graphical and hierarchical view of the data flow within a COBOL program.
- Data elements view: information about the data elements in a COBOL or PL/I program.
Powerful and modern debugging with IBM z/OS Debugger
- Eclipse based GUI source level debugger: advanced debugging capabilities for 24 and 31 bit z/OS applications written in COBOL, PL/I and C/C++.
- Visual Debug: provides a graphical view of COBOL and PL/I program execution flow including the current execution path.
- Allows you to step through the program being debugged, monitor and modify variables, set breakpoints during or prior to a debug session, and inspect program memory.
Intelligent build capabilities
- Dependency Based Build toolkit: provides a set of Java APIs that can be used to define an intelligent build script. Download Toolkit (part of IDz EE).
- Apache Groovy installation: modified to run on UNIXÂ® System Services to simplify the process of creating intelligent build scripts using DBB APIs.
- APIs can be used with any language.
- Provided samples use Groovy and are maintained in Github: https://github.com/ibmdbbdev.
- Dependency Based Build integration: enables users to compile their program by employing the same build scripts that are defined for the pipeline build. This includes:
- Copying the files and any dependencies to the specified host.
- Running the build process.
- And returning any errors and the result.
- Integrations with Rational Team Concert on IBM z SystemsÂ®.
IBMÂ® Z Open Development (Z Open Development) is a licensed program to support users who wish to write large-scale business applications.
Prerequisite software must be installed and operational before the product will work. Co-requisite software is required to support specific features of Z Open Development. These requisites must be installed and operational at runtime for the corresponding features to work as designed.
For a complete listing of the Z Open Development software requirements including prerequisites and co-requisites, see the Software Product Compatibility Reports.