IBM MQ for HPE NonStop V8.1 continues the evolution of MQ products on HPE NonStop by adding new capabilities. IBM MQ for HPE NonStop V8.1 has capabilities for the configuration and management of queue storage that equal or exceed those offered by earlier MQ products on HPE NonStop. It will also provide:
· Improved performance
· Improved configurability
· Improved security
With the release, the FixPacks will only provide fixes and no new function.
New MQ V8.1 capabilities
· Queue file partitions – This feature allows a queue data file to grow beyond the limits of a single drive and can enhance performance by optionally partitioning queue files stored in Guardian Enscribe.
· Queue manager migration – The Queue manager migration toolset is extended to additionally support migration from one IBM MQ for HPE NonStop V8 to another Version 8 installation. Also, new support enables queue data contents to be back-migrated from IBM MQ for HPE NonStop V8 queues to IBM MQ for HPE NonStop V5.3.1 queues.
· MQGET SET_SIGNAL timeout – Users can now configure the IPC no-activity timeout that causes MQ to close the application. The timeout can also be configured so that MQ will not close an application once MQGET SET_SIGNAL operations are begun.
· MQGET SET_SIGNAL Manager processes – The user can now configure multiple SetSignal Manager processes for each queue manager. Each queue can be optionally assigned a unique SetSignal Manager process to service its IPC operations.
· Publish and Subscribe operations – Publish and Subscribe operations are now supported. This includes configuration support for topics in addition to queues, and the extended MQI functions needed for Publish and Subscribe function.
· SSL TLS Support for CERTVPOL and RFC5280 – The queue manager is now configured by default to require strict RFC5280 compliance for certificates. The queue manager can be configured, if desired, to use the previous relaxed Basic Policy for certificate verification.
· SSL TLS Support for Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) – Certificates that are presented by remote queue managers and clients can be checked by MQ for validity by using an OCSP Responder.
· Cache Manager Pairs – Cache Manager processes store the contents of non-persistent messages. These messages may now be configured as process pairs. Cache Manager Pairs provide a higher quality-of-service for messages and protect non-persistent message data from some failures.
For more information about the new features, see the What’s new section of the main product documentation: IBM MQ for HPE NonStop V8.1 Knowledge Center Product Documentation
This release also delivers defect fixes, including fixes for APARs. For a list of the APARs addressed in the release, see the Fix list for IBM MQ for HPE NonStop V8.1.
For information on system requirements and limitations for V8.1, see the Readme for IBM MQ for HPE NonStop V8.1.
Delivery and support model
This release of MQ for HPE NonStop V8.1 uses the Enhanced Support model to ensure the feature stability that is needed for production MQ deployments. Defect fixes only will be provided by FixPacks that are applied to the delivered IBM MQ for HPE NonStop V8.1 function.
There are no further CD releases planned, but V8.0.4 will be supported until 2Q20.
IBM has also announced end of support for WebSphere MQ V5.x for April 2020.
Where to get IBM MQ for HPE NonStop V8.1
IBM MQ for HPE NonStop V8.1 can be obtained from Passport Advantage, see Downloading MQ for HPE NonStop V8.1. (This is different to the FixPacks that are released to support the V5.3 MQ NonStop product, which are available via Fix Central.)
Unlike previous IBM MQ NonStop V8 CD releases, V8.1 will also be made available soon for evaluation purposes via the IBM Early Access (“Beta”) Program, in the same way as previous MQ NonStop V8 CD releases have been. If you are not already in the Beta program, you can sign up by contacting your local IBM representative or the Beta program manager. You can then obtain the Beta release of the product which has the same functionally as the V8.1 GA release.