Day 0 – Thursday – 20 June 2019
The teams are assembled at the Greek Campus for day 0:
- The Green Life
- Saving in Bits
- X Solutions
The most popular technologies among the teams are IoT, AI, Data Science & Blochain
Please join us at a three day IBM Code and Response: Cairo Hackathon on 22 â€“ 24 June
- Days 1 & 2 – Saturday & Sunday : The event on 22-23 June will be held at the American University in Cairo in the downtown area. The top teams will be announced at the end of 23 June after they present to a panel of judges
- Day 3 – Monday : The final exclusive evening is for the top teams only â€“ giving the leading hackathon teams access to business development advisors. The winning team for Code and Response Cairo, selected from the top teams, will be announced on the evening of 24 June
The hackathon participants, working in teams, will build solutions to mitigate the effects of natural disasters with a focus on water themes such as droughts. We anticipate that professional developers, students, key technical staff at startups, consultants etc will join the hackathon. All participating teams will be encouraged to submit their solutions to the Call for Code 2019 Global Challenge – see the call for code information here https://callforcode.org/faq/ for more details about the themes and technologies used and FAQs.
Seeking Participants – Registration is now Closed
We are seeking hackathon participants to work in teams of 4 or 5 to deliver a prototype Call for Code solution over 22-24 June in Cairo.
As well as providing some tech education, the hackathon will incorporate a panel on the first day, to motivate the teams to develop suitable solutions. The hackathon will enable the participants deliver a prototype around Call for Code (and optionally help communities get access to clean water, and deal with floods & droughts) while learning cutting edge technologies.
By participating in the hackathon, the hackers will get support & mentoring from IBM & other professionals, with prizes for the winning teams. All teams will also be able to submit their solutions into call for code (prize $200K) which is focused on the health of communities after natural disasters. The participants will also benefit by learning new technologies and building their networks, as well as being exposed to techniques for collaboration and delivery.
- Registrations are now closed – https://riseupco.typeform.com/to/x4bsMF
We will soon provide a slack channel for the participants to join and prepare.
Seeking Mentors, Panelists and Judges
We are seeking technical mentors and leaders to be part of an inspiring opening panel â€“ We are particularly interested in showcasing women as leaders. We appreciate your suggestions for both mentors and judges:
A mentor could be a teaching assistant with a background in data science or AI or an early career technologist â€“ the mentor must willing to:
- take 3-6 hours of virtual pre-training ahead of the hackathon
- be available on 22 June and 23 June at the American University in Cairo
A panelist should have a proven track record in tech, natural disasters, sustainability, agriculture, or water â€“ perhaps who participated in Cairo Water Week 2018 https://www.cairowaterweek.eg/. The panelist must be willing to be on a short prep call in advance of the panel, as well as be available on 22 June morning.
The panelist could also be a hackathon judge â€“ they would need to be available later in the day on 23 June.
Please contact email@example.com if you have a suggestion for a mentor, panelist or judge or hackathon participant.
Partners and Supporters
We are collaborating with a number of partners and supporters – they may include:
- RiseUp https://riseup.co/
Candidate Agenda for 22-24 June 2019
22 June 2019 – 9am-9pm
- 9-10am breakfast and networking
- 10-11am inspirational speakers and panel
- 11am-2pm Brainstorming & defining the idea – working in teams (includes coffee break)
- 2pm-2:15pm CheckpointÂ – Teams come together
- 2:15-5pmÂ Teams work on their projects and start coding (includes lunch)
- 5pm-5:15pm Meet special guest – Teams come together
- 5:15-8pm Teams work on their projects and continue coding (includes coffee break)
- 8-8:15pm Teams Checkpoint – Teams come together
- 8:15-9pm Teams finish up for the day
23 June 2019 – 9am-4pm
- 9-9:15amÂ Tips for final preparation
- 9:15-noon Teams final push for coding & start preparing for the judging (includes breakfast and coffee break)
- noon-12:15pm Checkpoint – Teams come together
- 12:15-2pm Teams finalize slides & demo & recording and rehearse at least once with mentors (includes lunch)
- 2:00-2:15 Collect slides & recordings
- 2:15-3:45pm Teams come together – Present to judges – Judging – 3 winning teams announced
- 3:45-4pm Call for Code submission next steps & depart
23 June 2019 – 6-9pm
Exclusive session for the 3 winning teams
Each submission will be scored in each round based on the following criteria with a minimum score of 0 and a maximum score of 25 points, with the final score being the average of the judgesâ€™ scores:
Fundability: How fundable is this idea? Is there potential for a sustainable business model? Is this scalable? (0-5 points)
Execution: How well was the project executed and explained? Did they add a demo video? (0-5 points)
UI/UX: Beyond design, was the end-to-end user experience for the solution considered? (0-5 points)
Originality: How original, creative or unique is the idea? Is there a competitive advantage? (0-5 points)
Team: Is there a diverse team presented? Do they have a range of complementary skill sets for the project? Timekeeping (0-5 points)
Reports and Activities on Water in Egypt and World-Wide
- Agriculture Center of Excellence : https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/usaid-and-cairo-university-establish-center-of-excellence-agriculture
- Cairo University â€“ Center of Studies for water projects http://eng.cu.edu.eg/en/centerofstudiesdesignsforwaterprojects/
- Cairo Water Week https://www.cairowaterweek.eg/
- Water and Natural Disasters from the United Nations http://www.unwater.org/water-facts/disasters/
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of the Humanitarian Affairs – Egypt https://www.unocha.org/middle-east-and-north-africa-romena/egypt
- World Water Development Report http://www.unwater.org/publication_categories/world-water-development-report/
(26 March 2019)