Blockchain is a secure, distributed, and open technology that is lowering costs, speeding up processes, and building a new level of trust in transactional applications. This developer code pattern will get you started with blockchain by showing you how to build a blockchain network using IBM Blockchain Platform Extension for VS Code and the IBM Blockchain Platform on IBM Cloud.
Note: This developer pattern is the first in a series of patterns designed to get you started with blockchain. For an overview of the series, see Build your first blockchain application.
When something as big as blockchain emerges, developers who understand and can implement the technology are in the driver’s seat. But first you have to learn it. In this developer pattern, the first in a series of “hello world” blockchain patterns, you’ll learn how to build a blockchain network using Hyperledger Fabric. You will create a smart contract that defines the participants, tradeable assets, and allowable transactions. You’ll then deploy the packaged contract onto a configured Hyperledger Network on the IBM Hyperledger Platform on IBM Cloud.
When you have finished this code pattern, you will understand how to:
- Package up your blockchain smart contracts using the IBM Blockchain Platform Extension for VS Code
- Set up a Hyperledger Fabric network on IBM Blockchain Platform
- Install and instantiate a smart contract package through IBM Blockchain Platform
- Test out your blockchain network by executing a Node.js application with the Hyperledger Fabric SDK to interact with the deployed network by issuing transactions
Discover how easy it is to set up and configure a basic network that includes a peer, orderer, channel, and certificate authority. Refer to the Blockchain Component Overview to learn more about these significant components of a blockchain. Business networks also include the participants who interact with them, each of which can be associated with a unique identity, across multiple business networks. This is your chance to climb on the blockchain train and build the skills every business will need. Complete this developer pattern, watch for future blockchain patterns, and make yourself indispensable.
- The developer develops a smart contract using Node.js.
- Package the smart contract using the IBM Blockchain Platform Extension for VS Code.
- Set up and launch the IBM Blockchain Platform service.
- The IBM Blockchain Platform enables the creation of a network onto an IBM Kubernetes service, enabling installation and instantiation of the smart contract on the network.
- The Node.js application uses the Fabric SDK to interact with the deployed network on IBM Blockchain Platform and issue transactions.
Find the detailed steps for this pattern in the README.