In this code pattern, we will build a Node.js web application that uses the Watson Discovery Service to access Watson Discovery News. Watson Discovery News is a data collection offered with the Watson Discovery Service. It is a data set of primarily English-language news content that is updated continuously, with about 300,000 articles and blogs added daily.
The focus of this code pattern is to monitor a product’s marketplace life cycle using the Watson Discovery service to intelligently alert when a product’s stance in the marketplace has changed. Users can receive periodic email alerts about a product or brand and how it’s perceived in the news. Alert tracking can be set up for the following areas:
- The product
- The brand
- Related products and brands
- Positive or negative product sentiment
- Stock prices
We show the steps required to build a front-end management interface to search Watson Discovery News and a back-end service to periodically send alerts out related to customizable queries.
- The user interacts with the back-end server via the app UI. The front-end app UI uses React to render search results and can reuse all of the views used by the back end for server-side rendering. The front end is using watson-react-components and is responsive.
- The back-end server stores subscription information in a Cloudant® NoSQL database for product tracking.
- The back-end server sends user requests to the Watson Discovery Service. It acts as a proxy server, forwarding queries from the front end to the Watson Discovery Service API, while keeping sensitive API keys concealed from the user.
- The Watson Discovery Service queries the Watson Discovery News collection for articles related to the product.
- The back-end server sends periodic updates to email.
Ready to put this code pattern to use? Find the detailed steps for this pattern in the README.