Display live insights of your device’s health metrics
Real-time streaming of automotive device data using custom widgets
In this code pattern, we’ll demonstrate how to build a Cognos add-on to consume highly volatile streaming (real-time) data. From the traditional Cognos analytics dashboard (previous to 11.0.x version), it wasn’t possible to show the volatile and non-volatile data in a single dashboard. Therefore, the real-time data display was not directly possible. Now, however, with the latest features of Cognos Analytics 11.x, custom widgets can be built to display volatile data, and custom widgets can be used through extensions in Cognos dashboards.
This code pattern demonstrates how to display live insights of your device’s health metrics from Cognos dashboard. In the automotive manufacturing industry, one of the key challenging tasks is to monitor devices and make an accurate decision about planned or unplanned maintenance. This code pattern can help a developer by providing the code which can be forked, and with minor changes, used in their Cognos application.
In this code pattern, we’ll build a Cognos add-on to consume highly volatile streaming (real-time) data. The real-time dashboard displays a mix of data (volatile and non-volatile) on a single dashboard–showing a dancing chart that captures volatile data and incrementally updates itself. This pattern demonstrates displaying live-insights of the devices health metrics within Cognos dashboard.
After completing this code pattern, you’ll understand how to:
- Build Cognos custom widgets
- Integrate Java Script built extension within Cognos dashboard
- Display mix of historical and live streaming IoT data in Cognos dashboard
- Interact with widgets within the same Cognos dashboard
- Develop the code (includes spec.json, js, css, images) to build Cognos custom widget (extensions).
- Bundle the code as a zip file.
- Upload the zipped files into Cognos using extensions.
- Use the built custom widget in Cognos dashboard.
- Get the code.
- Upload the zipped files into Cognos using custom widgets.
- Create a dashboard to use the built custom widget.
- Run the dashboard.
- Analyze the dashboard.