Creating a merchant site that’s integrated with secure payment processing is elaborate work, and it can be even harder when you want to accommodate customers who prefer making direct payments through their bank. The IBM Open Banking Platform allows just that, quickly and with ease. This application showcases the simple benefits of the payments API of the platform by integrating it with a merchant fashion store. Upon checkout, customers complete purchases by paying directly from their bank account in a safe and secure manner.
Imagine you are bank that wants the agility of a digital platform but you are averse to the risks of replacing legacy systems or moving directly to the public cloud. You might be seeking accelerators for your digital transformations, or you may be driven by new regulation and compliance — or perhaps you’re simply on the lookout of opportunities to unlock new digital channels and revenue streams. Your clients want to integrate with direct payments from banks to accommodate customers’ needs while making purchases, securely and easily. The IBM Open Banking Platform is a software-as-a-service suite built on certain predefined industry standards that financial institutions can use to help accelerate their core-to-cloud journey.
In this code pattern, we will show you how to create a fashion store merchant site — Here and Now — that’s integrated with the payments API of the IBM Open Banking Platform, and we’ll demonstrate it through a Node.js and React.js web application. The application showcases the scenario of a customer purchasing an item on the fashion store site and making a payment directly through their bank. It has three primary sections:
- The store catalog is on display for the customer to peruse and select items they wish to purchase.
- The cart where all the items that the customer has shown interest in appears for a final review before checking out.
- After checking out, the customer can select the payment method and complete the purchase by going through the system flow.
This code pattern is for developers who are looking to start building applications with payment integration using the Open Banking Platform. When you have completed this code pattern, you will understand how to:
- Create an online store with a catalog of items open to purchase.
- Build a Node.js web application to interact with the payments API.
- Customer enters the shopping catalog and places items in the cart to purchase.
- Customer reviews the cart and proceeds to checkout and pay.
- A payment initiate request is sent to the IBM Open Banking Platform to start the transaction.
- The IBM Open Banking Platform initiates a single payment with the customer’s bank.
- Customer enters their credentials on the bank authentication page to authorize the transaction.
- Once successfully authenticated, the payment submission is made from the customer’s account.
Find the detailed steps for this pattern in the README.