Create a Device within Watson IoT Platform
If you do not already have an instance of Watson IoT platform configured then you can find the quickstart on how to set that up here:
Once you have setup an instance of the IoT Platform:
- Navigate to the Settings page.
- Find the Connection Security section.
- Update the Default Connection Security Level to “TLS Optional”
In Watson IoT platform you must create a device in order to generate the credentials you will need to add to your Eniscope
Instructions for how to setup a device can be found here:
Connect to your Eniscope
Find the IP address of the Eniscope, if you donâ€™t know it you can visit http://discovery.bestsupportdesk.com and scan your local network to show you the IP addresses of any Eniscopes on your network.
Once you know the IP address of the Eniscope, connect to it via a web browser by visiting: http://<insert_your_ip_address>/Admin
Enter the Administration username and password that you used when setting up the device.
You should now see the home screen of the Eniscope, with a list of the currently configured meters.
If you do not have any meters configured then please refer to the setup information that came with your Eniscope to start monitoring at least one meter.
Configuring MQTT settings
From the menu on the right hand side select â€˜MQTT settingsâ€™.
If you do not see the MQTT menu itemÂ you will need to update your Eniscope to the latest software version.Â
Click the â€˜Add MQTT Instanceâ€™ button.
This will show a form where you can set up which data you want to send to the IoT platform, and how frequently you want to send it.
- Give the setup a title so that you can refer to it later.
- Check the boxes alongside any of the meters that you want to send to the platform
- Choose an interval, this is the number of seconds between each message sent to the platform. If you want a reading every 10 seconds then input 10
- In the host field enter theÂ hostname for your instance of the Watson iot platform. This starts with your orgId followed by messaging.internetofthings.ibmcloud.com so for example if your orgId is abc123 then the host is abc123.messaging.internetofthings.ibmcloud.com
- The port should be set to 1883
- Username should be â€˜use-token-authâ€™
- Password should be the authentication token that you created when setting up the device in the Watson IoT platform
- The Topic must be structured in a way that IoT platform expects and should follow the pattern:
For example if your device is called â€˜Eniscope01â€™ and you want the data to be send using an event / topic name of ‘readingsâ€™ then the overall topic would be:
- The ID field should contain the unque identifier for your device in the format:
Using the same device as the previous step the device ID would be:
Be sure to click the â€œSave Allâ€™ button.
Once this is done the Eniscope should start sending your data to your IBM IoT platform.
You can check that the data is coming through by going back to the Watson IoT Platform dashboard, navigating to the devices section and selecting the device that you have just configured. The Events and Logs sectionÂ should display information about the data that theÂ Eniscope has sent, and logs of any connection issues.