What’s so good about Containerized Applications?
Many enterprises are excited about transition, from bare metal applications & traditional virtualization to container technology. Compared to virtual machines, Container-based-virtualization provide lightweight solutions by abstracting Operating System, where multiple workloads share the kernel host operating system. Whereas, traditional Virtualization provides hardware abstraction, allowing multiple instances of Operating System on a single hardware.
Containers quicker to build, deploy and scale, making it a best fit for microservice-based-applications where each service is independently packaged and deployed as a container. Organizations are fundamentally shifting away from monolithic applications to container management stack, embracing the agile approach for accelerating development, testing and deployment of applications and services. Each container includes its own binaries, dependencies, configuration files and libraries that is required to run a service. These loosely coupled services build Microservices Application, making it manageable and scalable, unlike massive monolithic applications that are hard to decompose.
Adoption of containers, is accompanied by Orchestration tools such as Kubernetes, an open-source system for management of container based applications that automates deployments, operations and scales containerized applications across cluster of hosts.
IBM Cloud Private - A Kubernetes based Container Management Stack.
Powered by Kubernetes, Docker and Cloud Foundry, IBM Cloud Private (ICP) is an application platform for developing and managing on-premises, containerized applications. It offers DevOps & IBM Cloud Automation Manager capabilities to deploy, manage, monitor, and scale applications. It is an integrated environment for managing containers that includes private image repository, a management console, and monitoring frameworks.
ICP is available in following bundles – Community Edition, Enterprise Edition & Product Bundles like- IBM Cloud Private for Data Science bundle. These editions comprise of the following key components:
– Master Node: Contains the management console and management components. This is where the core of the Kubernetes platform resides.
– Worker Node: A worker node is where workloads execute. You can have one or more worker nodes.
– Proxy Node: It provides external interface for traffic coming in the cluster.
– Dashboard: Management Console / UI for ICP.
You can size IBM Cloud Private by following best practices on installation and configuration for high available ICP clusters with multiple master nodes, multiple proxy nodes and management nodes. (More Details on Best Practices for Sizing of ICP in my next blog…)
What’s driving IBM Cloud Private adoption
The new generation private cloud -IBM Cloud Private(ICP) brings cloud native computing to your trusted data center with a stack of built-in development and management tools. ICP with its Orchestration capabilities and built-in security addresses the following core areas:
Core Use Cases
– IBM Cloud Private allows you to refactor traditional Enterprise Applications that have monolithic architecture to Microservice architecture. With the help of integrated open source and Cloud native tools you can move your existing enterprise applications to the cloud – such as IBM WebSphere Application Server integrated with ICP can help you move your on-premises Java app to cloud.
– Leverage Cloud Services such as Cloud monitoring tools and Cloud based analytics for monitoring and get data insight for business-critical workloads, offloading operational expenses.
– IBM Cloud Private provisions middleware components like WebSphere Liberty, DB2 and MQ as container optimized versions where applications are built on top of it and can be connected via APIs from Cloud apps.
– IBM Cloud Private Application Modernization provides the IBM Cloud Private capabilities plus IBM WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment, IBM MQ Advanced, IBM API Connect Professional, IBM DB2 Direct Advanced and IBM Urban Code Deploy.
– Supports the deployment of applications that can span on and off premise environments securely. Consider Creating a Mobile app on ICP that integrates with back-end data at customer’s on-premises site and have it published and versioned as APIs in public clouds.
– IBM Cloud Private Platform technologies, that provides access to necessary application runtimes and data services such as IBM Websphere Liberty, Microservice Builder, MQ, Data Science Experience, and Cloud Automation Manager, along with many other IBM and third-party services. Developers can leverage these runtimes to create microservices and 12-factor applications. Consider a Bookstore Application or a Flight reservation that displays a catalog of products where people can search and select, add to cart and make purchase from UI. You can compose application into microservices.