In this developer code pattern, use Transformation Advisor on IBM Cloud Pak™ for Applications to evaluate a traditional on-premises WebSphere® application. We’ll use Transformation Advisor, download the generated migration bundle, and use its recommendations to deploy that app in a WebSphere Liberty container running on IBM Cloud Pak for Applications running on the IBM-managed OpenShift.
A sample web app is provided to demonstrate migration from on-premises to the IBM Cloud.
When you have completed this code pattern, you will understand how to:
- Access IBM Cloud Pak for Applications on the IBM-managed OpenShift cluster (ICP4A)
- Use Transformation Advisor to create a custom data collector
- Run the custom data collector to analyze a traditional WebSphere app
- Review the Transformation Advisor reports to see migration complexity, cost, and recommendations
- Generate artifacts to containerize the app
- Move the modernized app to IBM Cloud Pak for Applications on an IBM-managed OpenShift cluster using a generated migration bundle
- Access the IBM Transformation Advisor on IBM Cloud Pak for Applications on the IBM-managed OpenShift cluster.
- Download a custom data collector from IBM Transformation Advisor.
- Run the data collector on the traditional WebSphere Application Server host where the migrating application is running.
- Data collector analysis is uploaded automatically or manually.
- Review recommendations in Transformation Advisor and create a migration bundle.
- Download the migration bundle.
- Use Docker to build an image and upload it to the OpenShift Docker registry.
- Create an app using the pushed image and run the containerized app.
Ready to get started? Check out the README for detailed instructions on how to:
- Install IBM Cloud Pak for Applications
- Get started with the Transformation Advisor
- Download and run the Data Collector
- Upload results, if necessary
- View the recommendations and cost estimates
- Complete your migration bundle
- Deploy your application on IBM Cloud Pak for Applications
Learn more about IBM Cloud Pak for Applications by exploring the Cloud Pak for Applications articles, tutorials, and code patterns.
Considering modernizing your apps? Refactor them!
- Article: Challenges and patterns for modernizing a monolithic application into microservices
- Video: Get an introduction to IBM Mono2Micro
- Code pattern: Transform your traditional on-premises app and deploy it as a containerized app on a public cloud (this code pattern)