â€śHybrid cloud computing environmentsâ€¦ represent the future for deploying IT solutions,â€ť states Steve Scully, Senior Analyst at Evaluator Group.1 A recent study by the Evaluator Group revealed that the predominate hybrid cloud use case was disaster recovery / business resilience, including data protection.2
Itâ€™s clear that providing effective modern data protection, disaster recovery (DR), and business resilience in multicloud environments is a chief concern for 21st century enterprises. This is why IBM Storage has announced powerful innovations to both IBM Spectrum Protect and IBM Spectrum Protect Plus this week.
IBM Spectrum Protect has provided enterprise data protection and recovery for organizations and service providers for decades. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is designed from the ground up for protecting application and virtual environments. Together they deliver modern data protection for the full range of physical, virtual, software-defined, and cloud environments. Innovation within both members of the market-leading IBM Spectrum Storage family of software-defined storage solutions is accelerating.
Recent enhancements to IBM Spectrum Protect include:
– Automated tiering by backup state. IBM Spectrum Protect can now tier data based on state of the data. Administrators can keep only the most recent copy of backup data on their higher performance disk while automatically moving lower priority backup data to more economical storage.
– Expanded ransomware infection detection for hypervisor-based workloads. IBM Spectrum Protect released the security dashboard in version 8.1.5 to enable administrators to rapidly detect data anomalies caused by ransomware. IBM Spectrum Protect now expands detection to include VMs managed by VMware and Hyper-V. Administrators will be alerted and can rapidly react to infections, recovering from backup before data loss spreads and without paying ransom to un-trustworthy bad actors.
For the applications and virtual environments that are pervasive within modern data centers, new Spectrum Protect Plus features include:
– VMware vSphere 6.7 support. The latest release from the leading virtualization platform is now supported on IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.
– Enhanced security with vSnap repository encryption. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus leverages the vSnap repository for storing snapshots for operational recovery and data reuse and now offers encryption for vSnap repositories so that administrators know that their copies are protected from prying eyes and nefarious actors.
– Support for IBM Db2. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is more than just an easy-to-use recovery and reuse platform for virtual environments, it is also easy to use for database and application owners, with the latest release, IBM Spectrum Protect Plus adds support for IBM Db2 to its list of supported databases which already includes Microsoft SQL server and Oracle.
The benefits of utilizing multicloud infrastructure for modern data protection include: substantially lower storage infrastructure costs, easier re-use of secondary data sets (for example, for test and DevOps), greater infrastructure flexibility, and As-a-Service delivery. The Evaluator Group notes that IBM is â€śâ€¦well positioned to help enterprises and Service Providers architect, build and deliver hybrid cloud storage solutions for data protection and data management.â€ť Read the full report to learn more about the trends in multicloud data protection and how IBM Spectrum Protect and IBM Spectrum Protect Plus can help your enterprise move forward with the latest multicloud and virtualization technologies without compromising the security of your valuable data assets.
Across the entire portfolio, IBM is focused on providing industry-leading storage innovation to enable more efficient and agile multicloud solutions for our worldwide customer and partner base. Learn more about how your IT team can leverage the new multicloud capabilities to reduce costs, improve agility, and accelerate the success of your enterprise at our announcement webinar or at VMworld, booth 1312.
1Evaluator Group Technical Insight Paper: Hybrid Cloud Data Protection Benefits, May 2018 (https://www.evaluatorgroup.com/document/technical-insight-hybrid-cloud-data-protection-benefits/)
2Evaluator Group: The Enterprise Hybrid Cloud â€“ a Work in Progress, August 2017