This week, IBM Storage is announcing a new member of the IBM DS8880F family â€“ DS8882F. The new system offers a cost-efficient storage solution engineered to help enable and support current mainframe modernization and integration initiatives.
Today, mainframes are as important to business as ever before, if not more so.1 87% of all credit card transactions and nearly $8 trillion in payments a year are processed on mainframes. These systems manage 29 billion ATM transactions each year, equivalent to nearly $5 billion per day.2
But the popularity of mainframes for certain business use cases does not mean that this venerable data processing platform has remained unchanged. In fact, just the opposite is true â€“ mainframe technologies and environments are evolving vibrantly to meet ever-changing business and research requirements.3 This evolution is driving the need for storage solutions that can keep pace and even help accelerate innovation.
The new DS8882F offers an ideal solution for these dynamic mainframe environments. Itâ€™s a rack mounted solution designed to support and enable mainframe modernization and integration at entry-level pricing. As are all members of the DS8880F family, DS8882F is also a business-critical solution for enterprises with distributed compute environments running iOS, AIX or Linux. In fact, DS8882F:
– Provides an easy and cost-efficient replacement for DS6000, DS8100, DS8300, DS8700, DS8800, and DS8870 systems
– Reduces up to 50% the data center footprint and the power infrastructure requirements
– It is the first enterprise-class storage solution that can be integrated into IBM z14 Model ZR1, IBM LinuxONE Rockhopper II systems or already existing 19-inch standard racks.
DS8882F offers a midrange alternative to its larger DS8880F family members, while providing powerful capabilities also offered in the larger models, such as:
– IBM Easy TierÂ® identifies and moves less-frequently accessed data to High-Capacity flash drives. Similarly, frequently accessed data is automatically migrated to High-Performance flash drives to meet performance objectives at a reasonable cost.
– Gen2 High-Performance Flash Enclosures that provide twice the performance4 and up to 15.3x more capacity5 per enclosure for workload consolidation compared to the previous generation.
– Transparent Cloud Tiering (TCT) to improve business efficiency and flexibility while reducing capital and operating expenses with server-less direct data transfer from DS8880 family members to multicloud environments. Beyond automating data migration to and from the cloud, TCT can provide more than 50% savings in CPU utilization6 when archiving large data sets, enabling users to refocus valuable mainframe resources toward new generation real-time analytics, AI, and mobile apps workloads.
– Advanced disaster recovery capabilities as well as 2, 3, and 4 site replication for organizations where continuous operation is critical.
DS8882F comes as a 16U system ready to be deployed in IBM z14 Model ZR1 or IBM LinuxONE Rockhopper II racks itself or as a standalone solution. Raw capacity can range from 6.4 TB to 368.64 TB; and of course, TCT changes this equation dramatically. The system can accommodate from 64 GB to 256 GB of memory cache (DRAM) and offers from 8 to 16 FCP/FICON interface ports.
Not only is IBM DS8880 the leader in the external storage market for mainframe environments,7 but family members such as the new DS8882F offer an additional advantage â€“ deep integration with IBM Z. Innovation and new engineering is planned and developed in conjunction with the IBM Z team and released in a coordinated manner.
The new IBM DS8882F storage system provides an affordable upgrade pathway for mainframe-oriented enterprises engaged in modernizing legacy systems. It offers simplified cloud integration for building mainframe-centered multi-cloud architectures and provides enterprise capabilities and advantages offered by its larger DS8880F family members. For such a small package, DS8882F is a lot of leading-edge storage solution.
Across the entire portfolio, IBM is focused on providing industry-leading storage innovation to enable more efficient and agile multi-cloud solutions for our worldwide customer and partner base. Learn more about how your IT team can leverage the new multi-cloud capabilities to reduce costs, improve agility, and accelerate the success of your enterprise at our announcement webinar or at VMworld, booth 1312.
Please click here to know more about what the IBM DS8880F family can do for your business.
1 Compuware: Inside Tech Talk: New BMC Survey: Digital Business Impacts Mainframe, Is Here to Stay, November 2016 (https://compuware.com/new-bmc-survey/)
2 IBM Mainframe Ushers in New Era of Data Protection, July 2017, https://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/52805.wss
3 IDC White Paper: The Business Value of the Connected Mainframe for Digital Transformation, December 2016 #US42063916
4 Two times more performance per enclosure compared with the previous generation of High-Performance Flash Enclosures
5 15.3x more capacity per enclosure considering the previous generation of High-Performance Flash Enclosures with 30 x 800 GB Flash Cards (24 TB) and the new generation of flash enclosures with 48 x 7.68 TB Flash Cards (368.6 TB)
6 Results are based on preliminary internal IBM data measurements on an EC12 when migrating data sets exceeding 6000 3390 tracks in size. Results will vary by customer based on particular workloads, configurations, software levels and the quantity and size of data sets being migrated.
7 IDC WW Quarterly Enterprise Storage Systems Trackerâ€ť file published on March 1, 2018