What is Streams?
Watch a video overview of Streams and some of its features.
Get started with Streams
Get started with Python, SPL, or Streams Flows.
Find a sample
Search for sample applications written in Python, SPL, and Java.
Join the Community
Ask a question. Join a Github Project. Watch a YouTube video. Follow us on Twitter.
Streams overviewStreams is a platform for fast analysis of large volumes of data from a variety of sources.
This short video gives an overview of Streams features, including its ability to score machine learning models in real time.
It also includes a short demo of Streams applications running in IBM Cloud Pak for Data.
Quick facts about Streams
- Data is not stored in a database or on disk during processing. Streams continuously processes the incoming data in memory.
- Use Python, Java or Streams Processing Language (SPL) to develop your applications. The application is then executed on the Streams runtime.
How can I try Streams?
There are several ways to get started.
Option 1: Use the drag-and-drop IDE
Don’t want to write code? Get started using Streams Flows, a lightweight, drag-and-drop IDE for creating Streams applications.
Try Streams flows:
- In IBM Cloud Pak for Data
- In IBM Watson Studio on IBM Cloud
Option 2: Create Streams applications with Python
Use the Streams Python API to create applications that process streaming data with Python. Your applications can run on IBM Cloud Pak for Data, IBM Cloud, and local installations.
Try the Python API: Follow the development guide.
Option 3: Use Streams Processing Language (SPL)
Streams Processing Language is specifically designed for creating Streams applications. You can use Microsoft Visual Studio Code (VS Code) or Atom, or Streams Studio to get started.
Option 4: Use Java
What are the options for installing Streams?
The Streams runtime can be deployed in various environments.
IBM Cloud Pak for Data: If you have IBM Cloud Pak for Data, Streams is available as an add-on and can also be deployed as a stand-alone Kubernetes or Red Hat OpenShift environments.
Local installation: You can download and install the free Quick start edition to get started with Streams. This is a fully functional version of Streams for non-production environments.
If you choose a cloud based environment, you will not need to install Streams. This is the quickest way to get started. Ready to get started? Choose from one of the getting started guides below.
- Search the samples Catalog: Find example projects quickly in the samples catalog, with over 150 complete applications.
- Sample notebooks for Python are available in the sample notebooks repository on GitHub.
Join the Community
- Need a question answered? Links to more information? Ask a question on the Streams forums.
- Check out IBM Streams on Github
- Participate in a Github project: Streams Github Projects Overview
- Follow us on Twitter: #IBMStreams
- Check the events calendar and attend Streams events.
- Videos showcasing Streams features
- Streams Knowledge Center