In this two-part tutorial in the Build Smart on Kubernetes World Tour series, you work with Java microservices and Open Liberty and with Quarkus.
In Part 1, you build a Java microservice created with Quarkus and deploy it on Red Hat® OpenShift® on IBM Cloud™. You learn microservice development with cloud-native Java technology (Jakarta EE and Eclipse MicroProfile), featuring Quarkus and serverless technology. In Part 2, you learn how to use Open Liberty to build and deploy a simple REST service with JAX-RS and JSON-B on OpenShift 4.X. The REST service responds to GET requests made to the
Part 1: Develop Cloud Native Apps on Red Hat OpenSHift with Quarkus, shows you how to build reactive microservices that can send requests to other microservices, and asynchronously receive and process the responses. Check out the link to see the workshop exercises. Complete the lab to learn the following skills:
- Use an external messaging system to handle the asynchronous messages that are sent and received between the microservices as streams of events.
- Use MicroProfile Reactive Messaging to write and configure your application to send, receive, and process the events efficiently.
Part 2: Develop Cloud Native Java apps on OpenShift with Open Liberty, shows you how to build a Java microservice created with Open Liberty and deploy it on OpenShift. Check out the link to see the workshop exercises. Complete the lab to learn the following skills:
- Build a Java/OpenLiberty REST service with JAX-RS and JSON-B
- Build and run the app locally
- Build and deploy the app on Red Hat OpenShift 4.X