Learning path: Building skills in IoT development
A next-steps developer guide for IoT
The Internet of Things is more than a technological trend, it is a technological revolution. By embedding sensors in everyday things, connecting them, and applying analytics to the data they collect, the objects around us become smarter. To be a part of this technological revolution, you’ll need to explore the architectures, designs, and development best practices of more complex IoT solutions.
Upon completion of this learning path, you will be able to:
- Understand how to apply standard IoT architectures for your IoT project
- Avoid some of the worst security issues in IoT solutions
- Know how you can best manage your IoT devices
- Store your IoT data, analyze that IoT data, and apply rules to act on your IoT data
- Understand how to get started with large-scale IoT projects
- Develop an IoT device and IoT application that uses an Python, MQTT and UDP, and IBM Watson IoT Platform.
Before completing this learning path, you should complete the Getting started with IoT development learning path.
Estimated time to complete
Approximately 5 hours
The following items make up this learning path:
Learn strategies ideal for planning data-driven IoT architectures, including how to simplify development, manage complexity, and ensure your IoT solutions remain scalable, flexible, and robust.
Explore the security challenges facing IoT developers today, from device security, to network security, to application security, and more.
Learn best practices for storing, analyzing, and applying rules to take action on your IoT data.
Learn how IoT device management protocols and features help you address many device management challenges, including scalability and availability.
In this tutorial, we'll build a door monitoring system, diving deep into the code and focusing on architecture and design, analytics, security, and other aspects of a scalable IoT system.