Earlier this summer, the Offline First community hosted its first ever Offline Camp (@OfflineCamp), a three-day retreat in the Catskill Mountains where 30-plus campers convened – appropriately, off the grid – to discuss issues around Offline First development. Thanks to guest host Jenn Turner (@jennwrites), The New Builders captured some of the sounds from Offline Camp through interviews with some of the organizers, attendees and session presenters:
- Gregor Martynus (@gr2m) of Hoodie walks through the process of organizing Offline Camp and shares some background from the last few years he’s spent helping build the Offline First community (9:05)
- Mapzen’s Julian Simioni (@juliansimioni) discusses his interest in offline maps and the concept of open, sharable data (18:13)
- Cure International CTO Joel Worrall (@tangollama) explains how the HospitalRun open source project requires offline-capable applications to serve hospitals in the developing world (24:20)
- Pedro Teixeira (@pgte), Partner and Chief Futurist at YLD, explores the ways in which Offline First development is a fundamentally new and different approach for developers (31:00)
- Jane Kim (@janecakemaster), who built the offline-capable exquisite texts collaborative poem generation app, shares a user perspective on apps that work without a network connection (43:34)
- Nick Colley (@NickColley), from the UK’s Government Digital Service, explains his contributions to the PouchDB community and the front-end design implications of Offline First development (48:56)
- IBM Developer Advocate Bradley Holt (@BradleyHolt), who co-organized Offline Camp and happens to be a frequent contributor to the New Builders podcast, closes the show by talking about future plans for the Offline First community (54:58)
The New Builders podcast listeners can obtain special discounts for the upcoming CloudNativeDay (Toronto, Aug. 25) and CloudNativeCon (Seattle, Nov. 8-9) events:
- For a discounted CloudNativeDay pass, register here with code CND16IBMDW.
- For a discounted CloudNativeCon pass, register here with code CNC16IBMDW.
You can find new episodes of The New Builders on developerWorks TV and SoundCloud. Find out more about IBM Cloud Data Services at IBM.biz/forbuilders. Contact hosts Doug Flora and Jim Young on Twitter (@DSFlora, @JW_Young) or email (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org).
The show’s music is provided by School for Robots. Check them out at schoolforrobots.bandcamp.com!
[Free eBook]: A Field Guide to the World of Modern Data Stores
Navigating today’s cloud databases and analytics options can be challenging. But it doesn’t have to be intimidating. Start (or level-set) your journey today with A Field Guide to the World of Modern Data Stores – read this FREE eBook to learn:
- What are the defining characteristics and strengths of today’s different cloud databases?
- How can data in NoSQL stores be analyzed to learn more about your customers?
- How are different open source databases used together to achieve polyglot persistence?
Get A Field Guide to the World of Modern Data Stores from IBM Cloud Data Services.