UrbanCode Deploy for z Systems
As organizations adopt DevOps tools and methods, they also change their culture to integrate, automate, and provide transparency and visibility. A DevOps transformation includes bringing z/OS into the current century for development practices. Think about it: mobile applications make hundreds of millions of z Systems backend calls every day (for example, calls to COBOL and PL/1). The mainframe must be part of the modern development and operations practices. Using DevOps tools and methods, the development and deployment of backend code is kept in sync with that of the mobile front end, allowing faster time to market, and continuous improvement.
The mainframe has a unique set of challenges compared to distributed platforms. For starters, the technology used for deployment to mainframes was designed and built for a different time and a different type of deployment that existed before the sysplexes and the multiple environments that customers now have. So legacy deployment tooling is somewhat out-dated vis-a-vis today’s development, test and production environments. Another challenge is that most mainframe deployments require many different people to participate in the process, each person making changes to their part of the system. Because these changes are done outside of the deployment system, it is impossible to see all the changes for any single application. Consequently, it is required to have everyone available and on call at deployment time, which increases the complexity of the process and the possibility for deployment errors, not to mention ruined weekends and low employee satisfaction. On top of these unique challenges related to complex mainfame deployment processes, skilled people who understand legacy deployment tools are retiring.
IBM UrbanCode Deploy for z Systems
UrbanCode Deploy covers all your deployment needs by deploying complex applications to distributed platforms, cloud and virtualized environments, container platforms and of course, the mainframe.
– Provides a unified solution for continuous delivery of heterogeneous enterprise applications.
– Accelerates delivery and reduces cycle time to develop and test multi-tier applications across heterogeneous environments and platforms.
– Reduces costs and eliminates delays for delivering mainframe applications.
– Minimizes risk and improves productivity across disparate teams with cross-platform release planning.
An example of success
Within many IBM development teams, UrbanCode Deploy is a standard tool that has been exercised and refined for deployments to z/OS. Below is feedback from a team using UrbanCode Deploy for deployments to z/OS.
For a mainframe application, a mainframe team invested two weeks of one person’s time to set up the UrbanCode Deploy infrastructure including the 30+ steps necessary to deploy the application. The team now enjoys these benefits:
- – Deployment time was reduced from 1 day to 3 minutes and is auto triggered by each build
– Number of deployments increased from 1 to 7 in a day
- – Fewer conflicts are encountered when deploying and testing changes
- – Developers are more productive and happier
Why UrbanCode Deploy for z Systems matters to DevOps teams
UrbanCode Deploy matters to DevOps teams with a System z environment because:
- – It is a single solution to automate and orchestrate a consistent and reliable multi-platform application deployments.
- – It is a solution to optimize across the entire enterprise and remove dependency on rigid, heavily structured processes.
- – It can be used to streamline release planning across all teams leveraging seamless integration with IBM UrbanCode Release.
- – It is tightly integrated with Rational Test Virtualization Server to virtualize back-end services as part of application testing and reduce MIPS usage on enterprise systems.
- – Is provides an easy method to add additional testing LPARS with Rational Development and Test Environments for System z.
- – It can be used to deploy to CICS, DB2 for zOS, MQ for zOS and IMS.
View the following videos for additional information.