WebSphere Application Server traditional Version 9.0 offers a no-charge, no-support option for developers to develop and test their applications before moving the applications to a production environment. Using the product in test and production environments is allowed but limited to a combined 2 GB of JVM heap space across all instances of application servers for the licensee. Production use beyond a combined 2 GB of heap space requires that you purchase license entitlements.
For Version 8.5, WebSphere Application Server for Developers offers a no-charge edition of WebSphere Application Server that allows developers to develop and test their applications before moving the applications to a production environment. These installations are not supported for use in a production environment.
The easiest way to install IBM WebSphere Application Server is to use IBM Installation Manager and an IBM-hosted online repository.
- Download Installation Manager Version 1.8.5 or later from the IBM Installation Manager and Packaging Utility download page.
- Extract the Installation Manager download to a temporary location.
- Navigate to the temporary location and run the installer appropriate for your user account. If your user account has administrative rights on the computer, run the install executable file. If your user account is non-administrative, run the userinst executable file.
After Installation Manager is installed, configure the IBM-hosted repository.
- In Installation Manager, go to File > Preferences.
- In the Repositories panel, click the Add Repository button. Enter the repository URL for the version of WebSphere Application Server that you want to install:
If prompted, authenticate with the IBM-hosted repository using your My IBMid credentials.
- Version 9.0: https://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/V9WASILAN
- Version 8.5: https://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/V85WASDeveloperILAN
When Installation Manager connects to the repository URL, the connection status icon turns green.
Note: these URLs do not work if entered into a browser, they are only for use with Installation Manager.
- If you want to install IBM HTTP Server, Web Server Plug-ins for WebSphere Application Server, the WebSphere Customization Toolbox which includes the Web Server Plug-ins Configuration Tool, or the WebSphere Application Client, then also add the following composite repository:
- WebSphere Application Server Supplements V9.0: https://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/V9WASSupplements
- WebSphere Application Server Supplements V8.5: https://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/V85WASSupplementsILAN
- Click OK to save the settings and close the Preferences window.
After you configure the repository, use Installation Manager to install WebSphere Application Server and other supplemental software packages.