Learning path: Getting started with IoT development
A quick start guide for IoT developers
Many articles and blogs about the Internet of Things, or IoT, start with their own definition of IoT and then spew stats and metrics about how IoT is growing at exponential rates. (You probably already know what is meant by IoT, but if you'd still like an introduction, watch this IBM Think Academy How It Works video.)
Upon completion of this learning path, you will be able to:
- Understand the skills you need to be a successful IoT developer
- Determine which hardware to use in your IoT project
- Choose the right networking technology for your IoT project
- Understand the benefits of using an IoT platform
- Complete your first IoT project, a smart doorbell by using a Raspberry Pi, some sensors, a buzzer, Node-RED, and Apple Home Kit
Estimated time to complete
Approximately 4 hours
The following items make up this learning path:
Discover the key concepts and skills that developers need to get started in IoT.
Learn when, where, and why a developer might choose one type of hardware device or sensor over another for an IoT project.
Learn about widely adopted technologies and standards for IoT networking and why you might choose one network protocol over another.
Explore the key capabilities of IoT platforms and examine the top general-purpose end-to-end IoT platforms.
Learn how you can build a simple home automation IoT solution in just four steps.